Why Both Glue And Screw? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mikechell

post #1 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Why Both Glue And Screw?

Iíve seen photos in magazines, and YouTube videos showing that a glue joint when put thru torture tests, the wood always breaks and not the glue joint. Iíve seen examples in a press, folks jumping on the joint, being run over by a pickup, etc.

So why bother using both glue and screws? Yes, I get it that a few well placed screws are your clamping. But watching a ton of YouTube videos, I see a lot of folks glue something up but then they put a Ďgazillioní screws along the joint as well. A while ago I saw someone with a board glued to another at a right angle that was at least 2í long. And then they put in screws about every 2 inches along the jointÖ

Isnít that overkill?

Whatís your theory/workflow when using both screws and glue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM

View tvman44's Photo Album My Photos
Just MHO but the screws add a little strength to the joint as well as providing the clamping.

Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
with a EX-21
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
If you're using plywood, then I believe you need the screws.
I posted this link on a thread about glue tests. The main thing I got out of it is, plywood glue is weaker than anything you'll use on the joint.

The screws are necessary to keep the plywood, itself, from separating.
sweensdv and Toolman50 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A lot depends on the material and what you are building but for the most part the screws just pull the parts together better enabling the glue to work correctly. A lot of times if you have enough clamps screws are not necessary. The exception would be end grain joints like the corner blocks holding a chair together. On that application screws are very much necessary.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
if there is a wood to wood joint, the glue will be the #1 fastener. however, there are other factors: long grain to long grain - glue and clamps is all that is necessary. ANY other joint, such as long grain to end grain, or other types of wood products - the glue may not hold because of expansion and contraction, atmosphere (indoor/outdoor). so mechanical fasteners are used as a second bonding method.

but with care, I have successfully glued edge to edge of 1/4" plywood, and end grain to end grain hardwoods. clean cuts, good glue and clamping. I would suspect they would not survive long in a press test.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2016, 03:28 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I use screws & lag bolts in a dry joint with damp/wet wood, fully expecting everything to shrink in my Frankenfurniture. I was right.
The legs are a bit wobbly, tighten the screws. Maybe this coming winter, I'll drill out the screw holes at 3/8" and peg and glue the joints.
Its a carving bench 12" x 48", built entirely out of 4x4 western red cedar (crappy small-log stuff, far harder than the fancy deck & furniture grades.) Easy shopping when the mills are side by side and 20 minutes from the house.
A decade ago, I built myself a simple bedside table. Dimension lumber, nothing fancy. Glue, dowel pegs and clamps. Clock radio, some books, that's it for load. It will last forever.

No, I have no idea why builders use both glue and screws, especially if the unit takes little load.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Lots of good reading above. Thanks for the posts, they are very informative. I enjoyed the glue test link, too.

Thanks folks! :)
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2016, 02:43 PM

View rubberduck's Photo Album My Photos
Belt and braces

Last edited by rubberduck; 06-19-2016 at 02:45 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-24-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

While 'surfing' woodworking videos, I found a glue test that was pretty interesting:

post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
I use screws and glue on table braces. Don't have to clamp the braces down and I can go ahead with sanding the next grit. I put these on with the table bottom sanded to 60 grit and the brace also at 60 grit. I use a small loop of glue around the perimeter. Just enough away from the edge so none squeezes out.
Attached Images

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode