Who knows about Pressure Washers? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shoot summ

post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Who knows about Pressure Washers?

I want to get a new, more flexible hose for my pressure washer. My original hose is a stiff 1/4" ID 25' hose. I see more flexible hoses Available in 25' and 50' lengths. Sure seems like it might be nice to have a little more range. Do I need to be concerned about pressure drop in a longer hose? I also see hoses with 5/16 ID. Is bigger better?

I'm also thinking about a turbo tip. Any Suggestions?

Washer is a 6.5HP 2500PSI Briggs and Stratton.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2020, 02:07 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
You will lose pressure from both increasing the diameter and increasing the length.
Hopefully, you will get an engineer on here to do the calculations to predict the results.

Offhand, I would think that 6.5HP and 2500PSI will not be affected dramatically and only slightly noticeably. But...that is only my uneducated guess.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #3 of 10 Old 06-14-2020, 02:43 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Increasing the diameter won't decrease the pressure, it would be less resistance, but it might not increase it either if 1/4 is enough

My pressure washer is a 7 1/2 HP electric motor hooked to a 4 GPM 4000 psi Cat pump, it is about twice as big as yours (electric motor HP and gas HP aren't the same) and I have no problem through 100 feet of 1/4 hose

There is no app for experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-14-2020, 07:40 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
What brand of hoses are you considering? I have a 2900 psi pressure washer and was also dissatisfied with the stiffness of the 1/4" OEM hose. I replaced it with a 5/16 x 25" Flexizilla hose thinking it would give me a little more manageable hose. Wrong, when not under power the hose is very flexible but as soon as you power up the pressure washer that hose is also very stiff and hard to manage. I'd replace it in a heartbeat if I was convinced it would do any good.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-14-2020, 08:08 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of problems are you having with the hose? I have had pressure washers for many years (currently a gas 3,000 psi and and electric 1,800 psi) and have never found the original hose to be any problem. They certainly have less kinking problem that the more flexible hose on my compressor.

George
post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2020, 12:23 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I have a TroyBilt 3000psi 6.5hp BS washer. I added a 50' UBERFLEX 1/4" hose, no issues, no noticeable decrease in performance.

The Turbo tip works great, helps make cleaning larger surfaces easier. Also look at surface cleaners, the round attachments with a spinning wand inside. Makes a world of difference when you are washing large flat areas like decks or driveways.

I'm sure you know, be careful washing concrete, you can do more damage than good if you blow the surface off of it and essentially ruin it.
GeorgeC likes this.

Last edited by shoot summ; 06-15-2020 at 12:31 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I have a TroyBilt 3000psi 6.5hp BS washer. I added a 50' UBERFLEX 1/4" hose, no issues, no noticeable decrease in performance.

The Turbo tip works great, helps make cleaning larger surfaces easier. Also look at surface cleaners, the round attachments with a spinning wand inside. Makes a world of difference when you are washing large flat areas like decks or driveways.

I'm sure you know, be careful washing concrete, you can do more damage than good if you blow the surface off of it and essentially ruin it.

Curious, what Turbo tip did you get? The selection can become overwhelming!
post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2020, 03:09 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I also see hoses with 5/16 ID. Is bigger better?
You haven't told us the GPM rating of your pressure washer.

6.5HP is the rating on the B&S engine and 2500PSI is a rating for the pump but that's with respect to the GPM rating.

area of 1/4" circle is pi*r squared =0.049 inches square

area of 5/16 circle = 0.07669 inches square.

so you'll need the pump to deliver 50% more volume. As long as it has that capacity you're fine but if the pump doesn't have enough displacement then your pressure will begin to drop.

Catpower is right about the friction, the volume of a 5/16" hose is 50% higher than a 1/4" hose but the circumference is only about 1/3 larger so you get 50% more flow for 30% more drag.

The hoses are rigid because that's what it takes to contain 2500PSI, economically. When you have more money you can buy more flexibility by using multi layered hose that has webbing etc but as Sweensdv said it will get stiff as soon as it gets pressurized, an object in motion tens to stay in motion also applies to fluids, the hose wants to be perfectly straight while under pressure no matter what it's made of.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-16-2020, 06:13 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post

Very definitely yes on the large surface attachment. Makes the job only 1/4 of the time without attachment.

George
post #10 of 10 Old 06-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Curious, what Turbo tip did you get? The selection can become overwhelming!
I have one I bought probably 20 years ago, no idea what brand, I still use it. I also got one with a set of tips I bought, tried it, worked exactly the same as the old one.

Amazon's choice for 2500 PSI is $14.99 with a 4.5 star rating, I would have no hesitation buying it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode