Who Facebooks? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Who Facebooks?

I just set up a facebook page for my business... I feel that I'm too young to be out of touch Facebook, I've never had one before.

Take a look at mine and let me know what you think.... become a fan while your at it. I really am just going to us it as a promo tool, show off stuff I have and give another path to get to my site. Maybe one day I'll put special offers on it, who knows!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Handma...s/202991473994

Who else has one?

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
I had one for my remodeling business but have since converted it to personal.
Thought about creating one for woodworking.

Did you say tool sale?
post #3 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 PM

View Av8rTx's Photo Album My Photos
I have a personal page as well, just jibberish and random stuff.

Don't Panic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
I guess I'm getting old, but what can you do on facebook that you can't do on a regular dot com site?
post #5 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM

View Procrastinator2000's Photo Album My Photos
"what can you do on facebook that you can't do on a regular dot com site?"

Connect to other people's pages. On facebook one can become a "fan" of a business or group. Then all the friends of that person get shown this, and they might take a look and become fans of that same business too...and then their friends see it, and so on and so forth.

When one person on facebook has 20 friends, it's no big deal. But when someone is a fan of your page and they have 400+ friends...well that's free advertising to 400+ people, just because that one individual is a fan of you/your page.
post #6 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 04:50 PM
BlackHeartOrganics

View BilliOwen's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to BilliOwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
I just set up a facebook page for my business... I feel that I'm too young to be out of touch Facebook, I've never had one before.

Take a look at mine and let me know what you think.... become a fan while your at it. I really am just going to us it as a promo tool, show off stuff I have and give another path to get to my site. Maybe one day I'll put special offers on it, who knows!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Handma...s/202991473994

Who else has one?

I set uo a FaceBook page a few months back but have not had to much biz. Have you tried etsy.com. It' sstrictly for handcrafted object so your traget crowd is right there. I have had great sussel and very positive feedback. All the clients I have delt with have been sush a pleasure and easy to deal with. It' cheap to list and has so many more perks than all the other selling site out there. Please check them out. here are a few links...
Etsy home page
www.etsy.com

my etsy...
http://www.etsy.com/?show_panel=true

Maybe that will be of help
-Billi-Owen-
post #7 of 88 Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
i guess im elitist or anti-conformist or something. i started a facebook page back when it required a university (.edu) email address to sign up and actually used it a decent amuont. since its been opened to the masses i avoid it like the plague. myspace and friendster are the same way. i don't exactly know why i avoid other than a raging hatred for it i guess i dont like things corporate if i can avoid them.
post #8 of 88 Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 AM

View Procrastinator2000's Photo Album My Photos
Unless, of course, you're just conforming with all those other anti-conformists...

...dilemma...!
post #9 of 88 Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I know nothing about Facebook, Twitter, etc. and really have no desire to.

Also have no desire for this modern phenon called "texting."

If I want to talk to someone I use the telephone. If I want to send a message I use email or the old fashioned post office if they do not have a computer.

Standard web sites are good for advertising and letting customers/potential customers know about your products.

G
post #10 of 88 Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 AM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
I facebook. Started about 2 months ago. I have a personal page and business page. Most of my personal contacts are family and a few friends. I also have several of my customers on my personal page and then of course I suggest my business page and they then become fans.

Not sure if it's ever going to benefit me but it's free.

Oh and I thought texting was stupid too but it's a great way to tell someone something without getting into a long conversation. A couple of my customers won't answer the phone but will a text. If it's someting that really needs to be talked about then they will call.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #11 of 88 Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I facebook. Started about 2 months ago. I have a personal page and business page. Most of my personal contacts are family and a few friends. I also have several of my customers on my personal page and then of course I suggest my business page and they then become fans.

Not sure if it's ever going to benefit me but it's free.

Oh and I thought texting was stupid too but it's a great way to tell someone something without getting into a long conversation. A couple of my customers won't answer the phone but will a text. If it's someting that really needs to be talked about then they will call.

That is exactly my reasoning... a little extra advertising and networking.

TXTing is great for talking TO someone... I can tell you what I need to tell you and that is that and you can get back to me whenever. If you want to talk WITH someone then txting sucks... but I still do that too...

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #12 of 88 Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator2000 View Post
Unless, of course, you're just conforming with all those other anti-conformists...

...dilemma...!
oh noes!
post #13 of 88 Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I went ahead and threw one together today. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loving...g/263373731865
post #14 of 88 Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I know nothing about Facebook, Twitter, etc. and really have no desire to.

Also have no desire for this modern phenon called "texting."

If I want to talk to someone I use the telephone. If I want to send a message I use email or the old fashioned post office if they do not have a computer.

Standard web sites are good for advertising and letting customers/potential customers know about your products.

G

George, I know you will appreciate this tale of technological development. There are plans afoot to install voice technology into phones so that you can just speak into them and your talking will be turned into text for "texting". The next planned step is that there will be software at the other end to turn text into speech so that you can hear the other person's "texting". The step planned for after that is to get rid of ALL of the sofware and texting and just call it a phone.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #15 of 88 Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Facebook

What's a "Facebook?"

Is that like a "Chest of Drawers"?

Yep I'm cracked, so the wife tells me.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #16 of 88 Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
Facebook is not unlike the yellow pages where you take the shotgun approach to marketing yourself. ( lots of folks who may or may not be interested in the type of items you are best at) My experience is that most woodworking jobs are personal with the folks would purchase from a craftsman. While I have a website for my business, it is purposely unprofessional, but not bad for a cabinetmaker who did his own (like everything else). It sets the tone for someone thinking about working with me, or reinforcing my legitimacy as a woodworking professional. I do some facebook posts that show my stuff once in a while and I get attaboys, but it is to be in "circulation" more than digging for business. Maybe a thread called "how do you market yourself" would be a fun one for everybody to bloviate on.

Last edited by Jim Tank; 01-19-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: big idea
post #17 of 88 Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
grandfather of 12

View rusty baker's Photo Album My Photos
All I get on Facebook is messages from people playing those stupid games.
post #18 of 88 Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
I have a personal account. My Son in law is in Iraq and it is a great way to keep in touch with him while he is there. I have also reconnected with some people I was stationed with when I was active duty.

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #19 of 88 Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I really didn't think it would help...but I have networked with a few local businesses already. Funny thing where I live (boonies) most of us who have a niche business market at a distance, there just is more money out of our area than in the immediate area. I do do local work, sharpening-lumber sales...but it is only a part of my business. The internet (forums) and my website generate an equal if not greater income from 50+ miles away (or across the country, even globe).

So I don't advertise locally, I did starting out...a waste of money. I assume since I have not heard of these other local businesses they are taking the same approach. Well we are now finding each other on FB and it is working out to the benefit of both parties.
post #20 of 88 Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Joonya Membah

View bzbatl's Photo Album My Photos
Facebook is a great tool. E-mail is good for professional correspondence and CYA-tracking but social networking sites have quickly supplemented (and sometimes replaced) many forms of typical communication between friends, families, colleagues, and potential clients.

Facebook is probably the best of the bunch because it limits the amount of tinkering you can do to it. There's a sense of familiarity with everyone's page since they can't customize the crap out of it and make it look like a webpage on drugs. The home page of FB allows you to follow your closest friends and see what they're up to - and also post things to their pages globally as long as they're "following" you as a fan.

Social networking sites are basically the equivalent of having one huge party or get together. Everyone can "chat" with each other and catch up easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode