White heat marks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

View ialex2005i's Photo Album My Photos
White heat marks

Hey guys/gals,
I just got a new dining room table and I would really like to avoid those pesky white heat marks. My previous table had some, and I've already noticed a very small one on the new table! It is very upsetting, as this is one of the most expensive pieces of furniture in my house. So what can I do to the table to prevent this from happening?

I'm sure you're all curious about the table itself. It's solid teak with matching chairs pictured below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 AM

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
Table cloth. It's more than likey a lacquer. Watch heat or hot things, use trivets. Watch spills of all kinds wipe dry quickly. It's a shame that such a weak finish gets put on such an expensive table. This past year I stripped two and re top coated with a much more durable finish. Other than that it has to be treated with care.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I was always under the impression that the white marks or rings were from a wax finish or a finish that contains wax. Maybe not. Beautiful table though! It would be a shame to have to cover it with a cloth. If your gonna do that, whats the point of having a nice table huh?

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 AM

White marks or blushing. Wax could be a possibility but chances are slim that anyone would put that on a table top.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 AM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
But wood polishes and furniture polishes contain wax, right? Im not argueing with you. Im curious. Ive had the white rings appear before and they are impossible to get rid of.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Yes they do, but OP didn't mention putting anything on and can't imagine it came with that on there.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
My brother-in-law had the same problem and just gave up. He had a leather fold up pad custom built for the table and on those special occasions he would fold it up and put it in the closet. It didn't look too bad and they had a table cloth on it most of the time anyway.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Teak finished with a film finish is prone to developing white marks if hot or cold items are placed on its surface. This likelihood is particularly prevalent on if the table was finished with an oil based varnish.

As with any furniture, the best way to deal with it is you use placemats, coasters and hot pads. No unprotected finish will stand up to heat. Get yourself a set of table pads to use for the best protection.

Howie..........
post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM

View larrynj's Photo Album My Photos
glass top will protect it and look good too
post #10 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For day to day use you might consider having some table pads made for it. I'm not certain what the core of the pads is made out of but they are about 3/8" thick covered with synthetic leather on both sides. You could drop a hammer on the table and it wouldn't make a mark. When you use the table uncovered you might just get some trivots for the hot items and coasters for the drink glasses.

If it were me I would just use and enjoy the table. If the finish gets damaged, refinish the top but I'm a furniture refinisher so it wouldn't be a big deal.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

View ialex2005i's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for all the replies. I have no idea what finish was put on the table. The lady did say it should be oiled yearly. I mentioned Danish oil and she said 'sure'. I'm sure she didn't have any idea either. We bought placemats. I will definitely look into the table pads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode