Where to get Plastic Laminate - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

View Demosthine's Photo Album My Photos
Where to get Plastic Laminate

Good Morning.

I am currently building a portable router table using a dual-layer of 3/4" red oak plywood. On each side, I want to put a sheet of thin plastic laminate that will give me a very smooth, easy-to-clean surface.

I am having trouble finding it here in Phoenix. I've tried Home Depot, Lowe's and a few of the wood shops. Home Depot has the plastic laminate used in showers and the thick stuff for countertops, but they are too thick. The countertops are expensive, too. Anyone have any ideas on where to get it? I only need a half-sheet.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM

View Fishbucket's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a Tap plastics in Phoenix ?

I cut it 3 times..... and it's still too short.

Dont go ninja'ing anybody that dont need no ninja'ing...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

No, unfortunately not. I just looked them up online and they are only bordering the West coast: California, Oregan and Washington.

You responded so quick, which of their products would you recommend? They have a huge selection of plastic sheets and rolls. I'll look into shipping and such too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Most home centers do have it but don't know it. Plastic laminate comes in two thicknesses. For horizontal applications there is 1/16". For vertical applications there is 1/32". If you ask there someone may know. They do have damaged sheets, that they are happy to let go cheap.

You could call some local cabinet shops, as they use it regularly. Look up in your yellow pages for "plastic laminate", or it could be listed under "plastics - sheets, rods, tubes".

Also in the yellow pages look up "cabinet makers supplies". There are usually local suppliers of materials to cabinet shops, like those that sell sheet goods like plywood. If nothing else turns out well, call a few cabinet shops and ask where you could buy the material, or if they would sell you a half sheet.

You could go online to any of the major brands: Pionite, Wilsonart, Lamin-Art, Formica, Nevamar, Micarta, and use their locator by input of your zip code in the locator box.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
a place without a tap plastic........thats not right........thats one awsome store.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

View JohnWP's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthine View Post
No, unfortunately not. I just looked them up online and they are only bordering the West coast: California, Oregan and Washington.

You responded so quick, which of their products would you recommend? They have a huge selection of plastic sheets and rolls. I'll look into shipping and such too.

Thanks!
Not sure where you are, but there are some acrylics/plastics shops down in the Tempe/Ahwatukee area.

John
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Afternoon John.

I'm in the far Northwest Valley. We're about ten miles South of Lake Pleasant, if that gives you any idea...

Tap Plastics would be about half-again more expensive that buying the thick countertop laminate. Ouch.

We'll work on the cabinet dealer idea next.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Would really look for someone in your area that does countertops..........tell-m what you're using it for and they'll probably trip over themselves to sell you a smallish pc of Fo-mica.Just to get it out of their way.Just sayin,BW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode