Where do you buy your tools & equipment? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
Where do you buy your tools & equipment?

I'd be interested to hear where everyone buys their tools and equipment. Do you guy from a specific website, from a big box store, specialty store.... ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
I buy most of my power tools from a local lumber store. They repair tools in house...I pay a little more for some stuff, but the service and having guys say, "Hi Steve, How can I help you today??...can we just put that on your account??" is worth more than saving a few bucks online.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
I buy most of my tools at the box stores. I do however buy some on line because the box stores don't carry some specialty stuff. There is a local tool store that I like to go to but the prices on some of their stuff is ridiculous. I do have a Grizzly about 40 miles from home and I frequent it as much as possible.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
I'm addicted to tools. For power tools over $100, I usually will surf the net and make a few calls to the big boxes. I end up buying an awful lot from Amazon.
For neat hand tools, it's usually Lee Valley or Garret Wade.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-07-2006, 07:57 PM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlkraft View Post
I buy most of my power tools from a local lumber store. They repair tools in house...I pay a little more for some stuff, but the service and having guys say, "Hi Steve, How can I help you today??...can we just put that on your account??" is worth more than saving a few bucks online.
I admire the loyalty to the locals, but since the local lumber yard we trade with carries only very basic tools, I am left with...EBAY! Call me cheap or whatever, but I buy 90% or more of my company tools online, the rest from dynamic fastener (specialty stuff). The last tool (machine) I bought from the manufacturer was my 18 inch Woodmaster planer....and I bought it new...call it a weak moment.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #6 of 13 Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Amazon mostly. Occassionally I go to big orange. Never go to bad blue. I'm in a rural area so a trip to the nearest competitive tool center is 45 minutes. That's 45 minutes I could be doing something else.
I bought my 12" Makita SCMS in like 4 minutes. It was not even available in any of local options.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 AM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
I guess I've been a little luckier to have these guys around. They have mega tools...They even sell scaffolding and lathes. Most contractors in Madison buy all their tools there. They have been in Madison for 75 years too...
post #8 of 13 Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 PM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
I tend to first check out www.toolseeker.com and then go from there. I have never had a problem from any of the companies represented on that site and have used most of them over the last several years.

My 24V cordless Bosch drill gave up the ghost Tuesday so now I am on the hunt for a replacement. It has lasted me about 5-6 years and its been through the ringer more than once. Great drill!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-13-2006, 01:31 PM

View garyni's Photo Album My Photos
cant go far wrong with good old Ebay,
i but a lot of my tools (power and hand) from Ebay and the biggest percentage from the good old USA !! some of you guys will probably be supprised to learn that it is a lot cheaper for me to buy and ship from the states than buying at home. i use a 240volt step down transformer to 110volt which we have to use by law on site anyway.
never had any problems.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-13-2006, 02:20 PM

View SawDustJack's Photo Album My Photos
Gary I can believe it , I have a good mate in Oz , I sent him two Ford automobile keys for less than he could buy one key for ..
Two pair of Levi Blue Jeans plus shipping was less than one pair there ..
post #11 of 13 Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 PM

View garyni's Photo Album My Photos
hey sawdust jack, yea unfortunately its true,
i generally find that what i would pay in pounds over here i can get in dollars over there (if you follow me) sometimes even cheaper
i normally work on the basis that 1 pound is arround 2 dollars so its half price, buying more than one cuts down on the shipping costs as well.
import duty can be a sickener but sometimes you get away with it
but im still better off after paying all the charges.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 AM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
I buy some locally at Lowes, and have bought from Grizzly, don't do Amazon or eBay. I don't buy used, that way I don't wind up with someones elses throwaways.

I could have bought many a used motorcycle, but the deal I got on a new one negated buying used.

Buying new may cost me at times, but in my opinion, I feel better off.
Also, no one uses my equip except my g/f under my supervision. She only uses my scroll saw tho. and is quite skillfull with that. She has tried using my TS and Bs, but, she is too short for both. So I usually do the things for her on those tools.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 AM

View Rembrandt60's Photo Album My Photos
Buying tools

I use several sources; Amazon,Woodcraft & Home Depot for the odds and ends. E Bay has also had some great deals, but one has to be careful. I only buy new. Experience has taught me. I did buy a used Rigid planer, and when they shipped it, it was not boxed well. Live & learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode