Whatsit, Whatwuzit, Whatsitgo2? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Whatsit, Whatwuzit, Whatsitgo2?

It might be from a hand tool, it might be from a power tool, it might be from just about anything and it's probably trash. But I learned a hard lesson back during the Miter Box Disaster of '09 - you don't throw ANYTHING away until 17 independent observers have certified that it is not tool related, or that you sold the related tool at last five years ago.

So at the bottom of a white plastic bucket full of yankee screwdriver bits, a broken chalk-line (covering everything else in a nice dusting of fluorescent blue), one bent carpenters square and a pile of severely rusted auger bits come this little gem. 8" long, the prongs sticking out each end are 1.5" and the one in the middle that points in the opposite direction is about 1". I'm certain it's not part of a saw jointer/filer, and that's the extent of my guesses. I could make it easy - I could take it with the next load to the dump and that would ensure that the next white bucket I pick up would contain an almost complete Blurrfl missing just this one piece, but I was never one to take the easy road. Any guesses?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whatsitgo2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	42685  

Insert witty signature line here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 AM

View verdesardog's Photo Album My Photos
kind of wierd but could be a tool rest for a lathe
post #3 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

View mackem's Photo Album My Photos
No idea Joe, it does look like a part or parts
have broken off. Intriguing little piece, hope
you (we) find out though. Knowing the amount
of knowledge that is on this fine forum I'd be
very surprised if the puzzle ain't solved.

Kevin.

“There are no secrets in woodworking, and everything should be shared.” Sam Maloof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
Looks kind of like an ash jiggler for a wood stove. You know those things that you jiggle back and forth so the ashes at the bottom fall into a tray? Is it cast iron?

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
post #5 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 PM

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3660 View Post
Looks kind of like an ash jiggler for a wood stove. You know those things that you jiggle back and forth so the ashes at the bottom fall into a tray? Is it cast iron?
Yep,
stove related was my first impression.
Is it cast arn ?

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3660 View Post

+1 to that! Does it have any smoke or soot on the part besides rust? Do you have a fireplace or an old house that may have had a coal furnace or a wood burning stove?
post #7 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like a long lost piece to Dr. Sten Von Ofelsinger's mythical Au Converter. He was a famous Swedish scientist in the mid 18th Century who was granted access to DaVinci's secret paper's by the Vatican as a thanks to their Swiss guards. He supposedly was able to translate and recreate DaVinci's famous machine that changed lead to gold. I think that you may have a piece of that machine! You need to dig around and see if you have the rest!

I looked at it again, and I think I was mistaken. I think the Au convertor's left and right ovals, which have different lengths like yours, are opposite what you have. I think you have something to do with a fireplace also, not a lead to gold convertor. Sorry.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

But I don't have a fireplace!

It is cast iron, but I don't have a fireplace. Of course when you buy your tools site unseen by the pound, it's always possible a few unneeded gems will sneak in. I guess I need to knock out a wall and put in a fireplace.

post #9 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Or pan for lead

Bud

post #10 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
How about a burning log prop for a stone hearth fireplace?
post #11 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 PM
The woodwrongs shoppe

View lawrence's Photo Album My Photos
I would almost bet it's a guide for a plane or plane related device

lawrence

__________________________________________________ _____________
post #12 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I would almost bet it's a guide for a plane or plane related device
It does remind me of a jointer gauge, but if it is then it's missing every piece but the fence, and it's unmarked. I think I'll throw it in the back of a cupboard and forget about it for another year to see what happens.

post #13 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
By this picture here it almost looks like it was welded together at one point. Look at the tabs on top. Kinda looks like it was welded there. Look at the shape. Looks broken.

Name:  image-3009554220.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  36.8 KB

Sorry no circle capabilities.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #14 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 AM

View mveach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willing View Post
+1 to that! Does it have any smoke or soot on the part besides rust? Do you have a fireplace or an old house that may have had a coal furnace or a wood burning stove?
+2 That was my first thought

LIB MR DUCKS
post #15 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 AM
No Longer Here

View 27207's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick
By this picture here it almost looks like it was welded together at one point. Look at the tabs on top. Kinda looks like it was welded there. Look at the shape. Looks broken.

Sorry no circle capabilities.
The two pictures are the same piece so it's not welded together, but it could have been welded to something else. I'm thinking it had a hinge welded to it. The two side prong things may have rested on something to keep it level, then maybe you could tilt it up for something. The middle prong looks like you either had a tool to fit into the fork, or perhaps a bolt or rod, or possibly it was some sort of latch so when tilted up you could keep it up.

Maybe the two side prongs pushed on a flap of some sort instead of my idea of holding it level.

Whatever it is Mott info would be great. Where did the bucket come from? What was close to it, who's was it, what did he do for a living or for hobbies?
post #16 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems26

The two pictures are the same piece so it's not welded together, but it could have been welded to something else. I'm thinking it had a hinge welded to it. The two side prong things may have rested on something to keep it level, then maybe you could tilt it up for something. The middle prong looks like you either had a tool to fit into the fork, or perhaps a bolt or rod, or possibly it was some sort of latch so when tilted up you could keep it up.

Maybe the two side prongs pushed on a flap of some sort instead of my idea of holding it level.

Whatever it is Mott info would be great. Where did the bucket come from? What was close to it, who's was it, what did he do for a living or for hobbies?
Baahaahaaaa lol dah lol thanks D for pointing that out for me. I guess I had a blonde. Moment. Lol.
Hey it sounded good.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #17 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
It's a hank o' arn tossed into the bucket to add weight so the seller could git more money from Joe.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe you could put it on "Ask This Old House," what is it segment!
post #19 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Red Green probably knows what it is.

Bud

post #20 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
I run with chisels.

There is no fireplace or coal burning stove, but just cause I don't have one doesn't mean that's not what it's for. There was no soot on it, it was japanned at one time but that's all gone. No that's not a broken weld up top, just your average sprue (sp?) from the casting process. It should go in the metal recycling pile, but I'm just uncertain enough that it will go back in storage to percolate for a while longer.

I do tend to end up with a lot of pieces like this. I'm one of those guys who goes to an auction and digs to the bottom of EVERY box lot. If you've ever gone to an auction and wondered why that box of rusty broken screen door parts went for $30 instead of $3 - if there were two biddders with grease stains on their shirt and orange dust on their hands and foreheads - one of them was probably me, and you can bet there was a few planes or chisels or some other piece of treasure buried at the bottom of the box and you missed it...

The Following User Says Thank You to joesbucketorust For This Useful Post:
autre (04-16-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode