Whats the worst close call have you had. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
MD Custom Furniture

View Gorp's Photo Album My Photos
Whats the worst close call have you had.

Whats the worst close call have you had.

Mine was with a router bit trying to cut to deep. I almost shot a splinter through my wrist. This was a wake call to think befoore you cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 AM

View expo09's Photo Album My Photos
Sliced some of the skin off my thumb. Was almost a lot worse - a couple of more milimetres and it would have gone straight through my thumb.

[
post #3 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
I have had some close calls while woodworking, fingers mostly. My worst close call was in February 12th of 1975, i was working as derekman on an oilrig. We had finished drilling the well, mixed mud to circulate down the well. When we started to pull 4600 ft of pipe, i was standing by the mudpump, when i looked up the derek had just started to buckel at the a-legs and a few seconds later slammed to the ground. Had it been 10 minutes later i would have been in the derek, 60FT in the air. That incident made me a believer that someone is watching over us.

OMT--That was my last night working in the oilfield, i had already had my interview and physcial to start work in a coalmine 2 days after this had happened.

Last edited by garryswf; 01-12-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Riding along a bumpy road in a jeep and not realizing my Thompson was in open bolt position.

G
post #5 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
I used to have a pair of jeans with a nickle sized hole in the knee from a chainsaw
post #6 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Roughly $13,000 in skin grafts and stitches to the left hand fingers from a TS incident. The close call part was not cutting the fingers off.
post #7 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM

View Skeaterbait's Photo Album My Photos
I married the wrong woman once.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeaterbait For This Useful Post:
mikro4127 (07-26-2010)
post #8 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
I used to have a pair of jeans with a nickle sized hole in the knee from a chainsaw
Mine was 3" x 1/2" deep no pain, took a shower, got a ride to the ER, waited, let others go ahead of me, got a local, 13 stitches, had to come out in 10 days, left for Japan in 9 days. Ditched the jeans.
The other one when I was age 8 playing on top of the threshing machine, had my index finger riding on top of 2 meshing gears, it took a hold and made it flat, the whole threshing operation shut down, and they drove me to the nearest hospital, 40 miles in Indiana, no local, 9 stitches, I screamed at the Doc, he said 1 chance in a million it'll grow back, it did.
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM

View Waldo's Photo Album My Photos
Noy wood working related but effected it.

2 years ago I went over a cliff with my 4x4 ATV and beat the 4x4 to the bottom. ATV came down backword and landed between my shoulder blades. 1000 lbs. 45 fractures,head,shoulders, neck,all ribs,back in 3 places and punchured both lungs. 6 weeks coma and 8 more weeks in hosp. since had 2 surguries on back and 1 more to go. Wood work is tough going now.
I know,very stupid on my part.
post #10 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Here I am after failing to hold tight enough to my 18v cordless drill while drilling 1" holes with an auger for wiring on the underside of my workbench. The bit grabbed and the drill battery spun around and knocked me cold. I woke up in a pool of blood on the garage floor. I had to call a friend to come get me to take me to the hospital since my wife was at work. I honestly thought my eye socket was shattered until I got it x-rayed at the hospital. A few stitches fixed me up, and I had to explain the black eye for a month.

Just because a tool is cordless doesn't mean that it can't do a number on you. I'm 6'-7" tall, 300 pounds, and can take a good punch...But not from my little itty bitty plastic drill!
Attached Images

post #11 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
Just recently had a rare kickback on the tablesaw...
The board flew up and I instinctively reached in and caught it. I was patting myself on the back for my "cat-like" reflexes. I turned the board over to see if it was damaged and noticed blood running down.

Total luck. Kept my thumb with a nice life long reminder, but just a shade more...
post #12 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
Worst close call

Where do we start with close calls. How many you've had, I think, by and large, depends on your age. I was born in the late forties, grew up in the sixties and did everything imaginable - drugs, booze, motorcyles, played in a rock band (when I had hair). How I made it to this age alive never ceases to amaze me. Now I'm my early 60's and have calmed down. I fly airplanes and work with power tools . Probably the only safe thing I do is use my seat belt in my truck. But Thank God, I'm still here with all my digits.
E
post #13 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
I think I have the same pair of jeans. I was using a chainsaw and lowered it after releasing the triger. The blade was still moving and cut a small hole in my jeans. Not a scratch on me. Got my attention right quick.
Tom
post #14 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Wow !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The other one when I was age 8 playing on top of the threshing machine,
bill
Not many folks around anymore know what a threshing machine is.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #15 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yup

I can drive down my road about 2 miles and see 2 of them on an old family farm, brings back memories...Farmall tractors and long wide, flat belts, horse drawn wagons, and dust everywhere........and a little blood. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #16 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Close calls

Well, so far nothing but a few small splinters, slight razor knive nick, a table saw blade nick on one thumb, (reaching across the table with the left hand ) twisted wrists from drills, black fingernails, thumbnails from hammers, nail gun richochet - framing gun, nail did not stick in my skinny shin but did break the skin.

Worst close call was running an engine lathe and the shirt tail caught in the lead screw. Fortunately I saw it happen and was able to remove my shirt from the leadscrew. Several nicks and cuts from sharp edges while running machines in the shops.

Very worst thing to date, lifting wrong, messing up the back. It always happens when your tired.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #17 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 AM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sawduster View Post
Well, so far nothing but a few small splinters, slight razor knive nick, a table saw blade nick on one thumb, (reaching across the table with the left hand ) twisted wrists from drills, black fingernails, thumbnails from hammers, nail gun richochet - framing gun, nail did not stick in my skinny shin but did break the skin.

Worst close call was running an engine lathe and the shirt tail caught in the lead screw. Fortunately I saw it happen and was able to remove my shirt from the leadscrew. Several nicks and cuts from sharp edges while running machines in the shops.

Very worst thing to date, lifting wrong, messing up the back. It always happens when your tired.
Reminded me of some knucklehead in my H.S. machine shop. He had figured out a new game for the day using his jacket to stop the lathes kids were working on. Came around to mine, and I had it in backgear while cutting threads, and I warned him that I didn't think it was a good idea. Well he tried it anyway, and I finally turned it off when he could just reach the ground with the tip of one toe. Walked away with him pleading for help, all wrapped up in his jacket, unable to reach the switch to reverse. Had to swallow my laugh as I walked away not wanting to have the teacher catch it for awhile. That was his last day in class as he had been busted flooding the sink the day before. (Never would have guessed that I would later spend the majority of my career as an Industrial Arts teacher.)

Last edited by Old Skhool; 01-13-2010 at 12:22 AM.
post #18 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
My closest call was a couple months ago. I had been using my jointer and the discharge chute was plugged up. I turned it off and went around to the other side to clear the chute and set my hand on the table saw blade. I was fortunate that the blade was just spinning down and not being driven. I just nicked a fingernail.

I had a little fun with an angle drill and and auger bit about 15 years ago though. I was on a ladder drilling up through a wall top plate that was 3 2x4s thick. I was using a 3/4" auger bit and was doing fine until I got to the last 2x4. Apparently there was a nail in that last board that stopped the bit cold. It didn't stop the drill, however, which left my hands and continued spinning. It stopped spinning shortly after it caught my chin. I found it fascinating that I hit the wall 6' behind me before I hit the ground. That only cost me the rest of the day off and a few stitches, but man, what a ride.
post #19 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I know what a thrashing machine is.

G
post #20 of 42 Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
my roommates step dad lost half of his right arm in one about two years ago... i always feel stupid when i reach out to shake his hand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode