What is your favorite Wood magazine? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Pro sawdust maker

View ecologito's Photo Album My Photos
What is your favorite Wood magazine?

Hi

I am new to woodworking, I subscribed to Wood magazine and had it for a year. Yesterday I went to Borders just to realize that there were about 5 different wood working magazines. I'd like to know what people prefer. I am looking for magazines about fine furniture building (plans do help a lot).

What do you guys look for in a magazine?

Build something like you mean it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologito View Post
What do you guys look for in a magazine?

little to no advertising and a centerfold doesn't hurt!

seriously, however, tool reviews, readers galleries, shop tips/notes, plans, shop maintenance articles and variety of woodworking techniques (i.e. not all turning, furniture, joinery etc) are all good traits to look for.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 AM

View Gus Dering's Photo Album My Photos
Check out Fine Woodworking by Taunton Press. They also print Fine Homebuilding. They do a fine job. :)

They cater to the professional but thats where you will find the comprehensive detailed info needed for good skills.
Their tool reviews are excellent.
And the adds are all in the front and rear. Nothing but articles in the middle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 10:41 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I don't currently subscribe to any woodworking magazines, but I do like "Shopnotes". Very little in the way of advertising, and good concise articles.
There is so much information, and ideas available on line, especially through this, and other forums, that I don't have any big desire to pile up magazines any more.

Gerry
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
If you are looking for fine furnisher plans with good detailed drawings. Shop Note's is the one to get.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Eco,
I get a number of different magazines. I would suggest that you page through the magazines at the bookstore and see which ones have articles that interest you. Everybody's different in what they want.
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Pro sawdust maker

View ecologito's Photo Album My Photos
I skimmed through a few magazines and I really liked a few of them, just like wood mag, if I like it is totally worth to subscribe to them.

Build something like you mean it.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
As far as the wood mags go, if they look interesting I will subscribe to them if they are less than 15.00 a year. I do subscribe to one trade oriented magazine which costs almost 40.00 a year. I 've been getting that one for over fifteen years. It is geared toward the tradesman and contractor, not the homeowner. It is well worth the money.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to select ONE favorite...

The ones I like the best are:
Woodsmith
Shopnotes
Popular Ww'g (Super On Line site, etc.!)
Woodworking Magazine

So So's:
Fine Ww'g ( I really like their On Line site!)
Wood (going down hill IMHO)
post #10 of 15 Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
I get about 5 scrips right now. The ones I look forward to the most are the Fine Woodworking and beleive it or not "Woodcraft" magazine. That said everyone has there preference. I get Shop notes and quite frankly am unimpressed, There are some cool jigs in some of the mags but some of there builds are way overly complex. That and I don't remember ever seeing any Fine Furniture plans in a "Shop Notes", maybe he meant "Wood Smith", which is good one as well.

Bottom line is order a scrip to as many as you can afford, I have built quite a stockpile of ideas and plans. Not to mention the how to articles that at the very least re-assure what you already maybe thinking, and if not teach you something new. Plus most of them are a 6 per year thing, I have 5 scrips and still find myself waiting for a new rag to show up. Coarse I spend a good deal of time on the thinking chair......

Last edited by Nate1778; 11-17-2008 at 08:34 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 AM

View KevinK's Photo Album My Photos
Well I have to agree with Joe

The best out there now is Woodworking Magazine, I also like ShopNotes and Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking is good to but too much advertizement, I am sure we could cut the magazine in half if they removed the advertizing. I also agree Wood from Better Home and Gardens is going downhill and this was my first wood magazine subscription about 8 years ago.

Anyway good luck

Kevin
post #12 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I hate to be the voice of reality here, but it's the advertising that makes those fine magazines possible. We're not talking about Cosmo or GQ that have 100 pages of advertising for 5 pages of articles. All the wood related magazines I've seen have a respectable number of advertising pages compared to the number of actual articles and plans etc.

As for my preference, I subscribe to Woodsmith right now, but I've noticed several of the "top names" that are in my local bookstores seem to rotate articles and reviews. Not the exact same ones, mind you, but the same subjects. Woodsmith will have a review of routers one month and a nice little project to go along with some routing skills. The very next week Wood will have something very similar. For me I'm sticking with Woodsmith and when I see specific projects in the others that I like, I'll buy them individually. Sure it's more expensive that way, but only if I buy a lot of them, which I don't. My wife and I go to the bookstore to just sit and read quite often and I get plenty of time to thumb through all the magazines they have there to decide if it's worth buying any of them.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree, what is wrong with advertising. Most the rags I get have 50 pages or less in them, cut them in half and its more of a newsletter than a magazine. I see a lot of the new tools on the market in advertisements first then come to the web to further investigate. I like it, I dig Woodcraft for the very reason, now not only can I go online to look at a product I can go into the store to get hands on. I also like the plans in "Woodcraft" if I need a bit or a part I write the part number, take it up there and they give it to me. I have heard more complaints about how "Woodcraft" Mag is biased to there own products, Duhhh. Its nice to be able to walk in the store, and have the part number.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, advertising is where most of the money is...

Exceptions:
Woodsmith
ShopNotes
Woodworking Magazine

They DO NOT have any advertising... BUT, the price per subscription is expensive too... You get what you pay for.

Now, there is Finewoodworking... It has loads of advertising AND is also expensive to subscribe to! You get a double whammy! They use more expensive paper & binding... I think, a little too good... I would be happier if the quality of the paper & binding were lowered as well as the subscription rate.

The rest have Advertising (for the main income), good paper & binding, and usually good content.

It does seem to be that they are in cahoots with each other to rotate the subjects... and after a few months, they repeat subjects, with a different twist.

It still boils down to...
"You get what you pay for".
post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 AM

View Mychal Berry's Photo Album My Photos
I myself like woodcraft. They have some very unique projects in there, but I don't think there is much about furniture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode