Woodworking Talk banner

What would you like for Christmas?

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Toms94 
#1 ·
not that i'm planning on getting you anything :smile:

i'm actually looking for ideas for me that my family can afford. although, i did list the SawStop 10" Cabinet Saw at the top of my list... :thumbsup:

since i'm fairly new to this hobby i'm still trying to acquire tools and 'stuff'. this is the list i have so far: (without the SawStop mentioned)

1) Clamps (i have a small handful, but you can never have too many clamps)
2) Pipe Clamps (i don't have any)
3) WoodCraft Gift Certificate (i'd list Rockler, but they charge for their certs)

i need router bits, but i don't know what i need yet. :) i don't have any yet.

i'm having a hard time coming up with a list of ideas that ppl not familiar with woodworking would be able to find/buy.

what else do i need? :smile:

#5 ·
A set of "good" squares the nice steel ones that come in 3-6 and 12 inches, Thickness gauge? A nice 24" steel ruler,. All those other tools are practically useless unless you start with the most important ones.

If you already have those than go for broke and ask for a portable mill...:thumbsup:

#7 ·
If you already have those than go for broke and ask for a portable mill...:thumbsup:
A little tough for Santa to get down the chimney, but a great gift idea :smile:. Every day of sawmilling for me is exactly like Christmas. The packages are all wrapped in bark, and I never really know what I am going to get for sure until I open them. Some times it is "socks"...and sometimes it is a "Rolex", metaphorically speaking.

#13 ·
Starrett makes very fine measuring tools for those who have asked. But you can buy very good quality things from Gladstone Tools for a lot less. I have both and as far as accuracy goes, there's no difference. The Starrett tools are more robust and "feel" better and will probably be used by my Great-Grandchildren. In fact, I'm using a couple from my Great-Grandad.

#15 ·
Welcome to the forum aclose. Boy is yours the proverbial open ended question. Best I can suggest is to think about the things you would most like to build, and plan along the lines from there. For router bits the most economical way to go is to buy a comprehensive set of 35, or 50. They have them at Busy Bee, Princess Auto, and Lee Valley. Buying them one at a time is expensive. You can always go back and replace or add your favourites later, as they wear out. If you don't have a router yet, get one with 1/2 inch capacity. They are not that much more expensive, but leave you open to doing projects such as raised panelling. Pipe clamps are the most versatile, yet relatively inexpensive, especially if you are building shelves, or cabinets, and as you already know, you simply cannot have too many clamps.
Any decent powered hand tools are good to have, if you don't have them yet: 1/2 drill. belt sander, orbital sander, skill saw, jig saw. Oh, yeah, and everything everybody else said.

Have fun

Gerry

#16 ·
A bigger basement so I could have real room to work with :D

That aside, a finishing nailer, a book on building furniture would be nice (not tables, I mean things like rocking chairs or outdoor chair swings), a portable table saw (since my basement is not growing), a good chisel set, and someone else to pay off my mortgage :)

#21 ·
I made up a list for what I wanted for the family to chose from. Didn't get too overly expensive items, but did want the plywood router bits, carbide brad point drills, jigs for drill dowel holes and the like. Whatever I don't get I'll probably go ahead and buy out of my mad money.

#28 ·
I would like for lost souls to have their epiphany and accept Christ as Lord and Saviour of their lives.

I would like to be forgiven by all who believe I have wronged them, and for them to know that I don't feel I need apologies in order for me to move on, since I do that anyway.

The future is a wonderful thing because the future is perfect until we step into it and mess it up. Let's try not to make it more messy than what our sinful nature causes, and then let's forgive each other when we feel slighted and realize as humans, we are usually way too touchy and certainly insignificant except in the eyes of God, and only there are we priceless.

I would like for those who suffer in constant pain and anguish both mental and physical to find relief.

I would like to be a better father, husband, son, brother, uncle, friend, and a much less obnoxious poster at times. :glare:

I would also love to have an entire Festool tool colection. :laughing:

Sorry if this has offended anyone. If it has, please forgive me. I am feeling especially cheerful this morning because I am experiencing some significant relief from some significant pain that has been ongoing, relentless, teeth-gritting at times, that has really caused me to reflect deeply on the meaning of life and how blessed we all are. Monty Python did a reflection on that once and they got it all wrong but they but they have much more talent than me to make you laugh about it. :laughing: ;)

Now, please don't allow my serious reflection ruin this fun thread. I really do want some Festool tools!!!! :thumbsup:

#29 ·
I would like for lost souls to have their epiphany and accept Christ as Lord and Saviour of their lives.

I would like to be forgiven by all who believe I have wronged them, and for them to know that I don't feel I need apologies in order for me to move on, since I do that anyway.

The future is a wonderful thing because the future is perfect until we step into it and mess it up. Let's try not to make it more messy than what our sinful nature causes, and then let's forgive each other when we feel slighted and realize as humans, we are usually way too touchy and certainly insignificant except in the eyes of God, and only there are we priceless.

I would like for those who suffer in constant pain and anguish both mental and physical to find relief.

I would like to be a better father, husband, son, brother, uncle, friend, and a much less obnoxious poster at times. :glare:

I would also love to have an entire Festool tool colection. :laughing:

Sorry if this has offended anyone. If it has, please forgive me. I am feeling especially cheerful this morning because I am experiencing some significant relief from some significant pain that has been ongoing, relentless, teeth-gritting at times, that has really caused me to reflect deeply on the meaning of life and how blessed we all are. Monty Python did a reflection on that once and they got it all wrong but they but they have much more talent than me to make you laugh about it. :laughing: ;)

Now, please don't allow my serious reflection ruin this fun thread. I really do want some Festool tools!!!! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Well said.:clap:

#30 ·
I just bought myself a Christmas gift and man did I get a deal!!! I have been wanting a PSI Barracuda chuck with the extra jaws. PSI sells it for $170 but Amazon has it for $150 with free shipping. I have an Amazon credit card and they are always sending me $25 gift certificates based on my spending. I had three gift certificates so my final price was $75!!! I got it so I can start turning segmented bowls on my Jet Midi lathe. Merry Christmas to me!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.