What wood to use for these tables - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

View Jordan_SD's Photo Album My Photos
What wood to use for these tables

I am going to make my first project and would like to make some bedside tables like this: http://imgur.com/a/62rvo

My wife likes darker color woods but doesn't like anything that has a dark red color (i.e. cherry). What kind of wood should I use and with what type of finish? I have been thinking of Mahogany or Walnut but I could use something cheaper and put a darker color onto it using dye or stain. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM

View MasterSplinter's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice. You could use oak. Also a thin piece of oak plywood for the panels on the doors and side. Pure shelac unwaxed is nice . But that is up to you on the finish.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, my eyes do not see cherry as being dark red, at least not the cherry in my kitchen cabinets or my lumber stock.

I prefer not to stain or dye, but it is personal preference. If I had to change the colour of wood, I think I would use dye. Easier to control the colour and allows the grain to still show it beauty.

If you want dark, the non-stain/non-dye cheapest wood is walnut. I love the rich tones in some pieces. Can be cream in the sap, dark brown in the heart wood and a mix in between. I like working with walnut.

If I had to stain or dye I would likely use ash over oak.

Pricing is local, so what may be inexpensive for me could be more expensive for you.

If you have to go with softwood to save money, then consider poplar, although can be a challenge to stain / dye due to the natural colour variations.

You could consider contrasting colours, dark for the top and drawer front and doors, light for the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 01:34 PM

View madge45's Photo Album My Photos
hmmm

I see teak with a nice oil finish, or maybe white cedar or oak stained a walnut color.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM

View wood_chucker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by madge45 View Post
I see teak with a nice oil finish, or maybe white cedar or oak stained a walnut color.
Well if price is an issue id rule teak out lol. For dark wood is go with walnut for a cheaper option is prob go with ash or the similar stained.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Why not just use Mahogany. It's readily available in solid wood, and plywood in the three main thicknesses.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I think I will try Walnut out and see how it goes.... Thanks for all the feedback.

At my local lumber shop the Walnut and Mahogany are pretty much the same price. IF the tables come out as something I can actually put in my house, then I will probably be back to ask about finishing options.

This project will probably take me some time to complete given that I have a 3 year old and twin 1 year old kids at home. That means my hobbies are relegated late night hours in the garage.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 04:45 PM

View mncamperguy's Photo Album My Photos
That is funny, family wise you are exactly like me only one year earlier.

We have a 2 yr old now and will be having twins next week. How bad is it going to be in the beginning?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncamperguy View Post
That is funny, family wise you are exactly like me only one year earlier.

We have a 2 yr old now and will be having twins next week. How bad is it going to be in the beginning?
GOOD LUCK!!!!! :)

Sleep is something you won't get for at least 6 months. I am pretty sure we ran on 3-5 hours of total sleep a day. I couldn't get away with letting my wife take care of the twins in the middle of the night like I did with my first one, it is just way to much work. Mine were probably even more special because one had colic for 6 months. It was probably the longest 6 months to a year ever, but it is finally starting to get better. I don't envy you that is for sure.

One tidbit of advice I will give you (goes against most parenting books) is that when one baby wakes up to eat you NEED to wake the other one up as well if you want to get any sleep at all. I won't even give any other advice because you will have to find what works to make it through each day, doesn't matter what friends/family/books say.

We have found that no one (unless they have multiples) has any idea how difficult the smallest things end up being. We used to take our oldest anywhere and everywhere when he was a baby, but that stops when you have 2 babies and a toddler. Doom and gloom? pretty much but as they get older it will be awesome to have them all so close in age. My wife and I still say to each other "it will be so much easier x months from now" :)

Right now it is finally getting much better (twins are 18 months) so they are starting to be more self-sufficient and love to play with each other.

If you want any advice on twin oriented stuff I may be able to help so just let me know. Just be happy you aren't having more than twins. I have no idea how people with triplets and above remain sane.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

So my plans were changed by my wife. She wanted a dark color like an espresso or jacobean stain. So I ended up buying Ash since it is the cheapest hardwood in my area, the only problem is that my local lumber supplier does not carry Ash in 1/4 sheets. There will be small panels on the doors (shaker style doors) and also the back panel. What other kind of wood could I use and still make this look good? I know they carry other material in 1/4 sheets like birch and oak, suggestions on what else to use if I can't get Ash?
post #11 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 PM

View Backbevel's Photo Album My Photos
If the panels are not part of the structure for strength.Use the ash your building with.Lots of furniture makers use floating panels.book match,slip match or make it look like one wide board.Leave some room for expansion and shrinkage.You have good taste nice looking tables.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM

View mncamperguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_SD View Post
GOOD LUCK!!!!! :)

Sleep is something you won't get for at least 6 months. I am pretty sure we ran on 3-5 hours of total sleep a day. I couldn't get away with letting my wife take care of the twins in the middle of the night like I did with my first one, it is just way to much work. Mine were probably even more special because one had colic for 6 months. It was probably the longest 6 months to a year ever, but it is finally starting to get better. I don't envy you that is for sure.

One tidbit of advice I will give you (goes against most parenting books) is that when one baby wakes up to eat you NEED to wake the other one up as well if you want to get any sleep at all. I won't even give any other advice because you will have to find what works to make it through each day, doesn't matter what friends/family/books say.

We have found that no one (unless they have multiples) has any idea how difficult the smallest things end up being. We used to take our oldest anywhere and everywhere when he was a baby, but that stops when you have 2 babies and a toddler. Doom and gloom? pretty much but as they get older it will be awesome to have them all so close in age. My wife and I still say to each other "it will be so much easier x months from now" :)

Right now it is finally getting much better (twins are 18 months) so they are starting to be more self-sufficient and love to play with each other.

If you want any advice on twin oriented stuff I may be able to help so just let me know. Just be happy you aren't having more than twins. I have no idea how people with triplets and above remain sane.

Jordan SD, were you able to build these tables?

BTW, all of your advice was spot on. The girls are now 9 months old and we are finally back to normal nights of sleep of 7-8 hrs (they sleep 10-11). The first 6 months were brutal. They are starting to get mobile and able to start keeping themselves occupied for longer periods of time. It does indeed get better and my wife and I always comment on how much better it will be in x weeks/months.

It is so much better now that I am able to spend a couple hrs in the shop after they go to bed now....
post #13 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM

View laadams85's Photo Album My Photos
Just remember that you'll get stretches when the kids won't sleep normally again. This tends to happen when they are cutting teeth, sick, overly tired etc. Always a fun time.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I did get them built, I have some pictures but didn't get one with the finish on it. I actually have time to do "some" work now since the kids are 4 and 2 now.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode