What wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

View 4x15mph's Photo Album My Photos
What wood?

I made my first cabinet project with my son which is basically 2 drawers, 2 doors and it totals 4' wide, 1 1/2' depth, and 2 1/2' height (approximately)

I used pine for the project and it consisted of a sheet as well as mixed boards (1x6, 1x2's), etc.

The project cost almost $300 for the wood and drawer slides ($30.00).

I expected that making a cabinet would be cheaper....

What kind of wood should I be looking to use for a cabinet that I intend to paint? I am curious to hear what others use since my cabinet book talks about MDF although I didn't want to use the usual white boards considering I want this to be painted/weathered looking.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
You should be able to build according to your specs for half that material cost, and still use wood products. The white board you referred to is probably melamine, not MDF. MDF comes in 4x8 sheets, is brown and looks like pressed/smooth cardboard. It is fine for what you want to build so long as you are only using it for the case (box) not the frames, drawers, or doors.

You can buy paint grade plywood from the home centers or a local lumberyard. For a good paint grade harwood for your frames you can use poplar. Harder than pine and paints well. It sounds like you may have bought "clear pine" maybe, which is considerably more than #2 pine.

Price point for a DIY guy is going to vary considering those of us who do this for a living either buy rough sawn lumber in quantity and mill it ourselves, or get a nice contractor discount from a local supplier. I do both, but sometimes find myself on a Sunday running over to one of the home centers to grab a couple pieces of poplar to finish a project. The cashier usually has to pull the cash out of my hand because it kills me to pay that much for something I normally get for so little.

I know at my local HD, they sell a 4x8 sheet of Birch for around $48.00.
They also sell some garbage called sandply for around $29.00 a sheet. Sometimes the extra money spent is worth not having the aggrevation that inferior products can produce.

For the project you described, I'd probably get between $900-$1,200 but it would started and finished in two days. So my goal of material costs may be different from yours. Good luck! Show us some pictures.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
As for the cost of wood, where did you buy the wood you used? I'm guessing Home depot, Lowes or similar place. If you buy finished lumber then it is hard to get out cheaper than some of the other pre-made cabinets. Hand made is usually better in my eyes because you can get better quality and if your new to woodworking the process alone is often worth it but the knowledge is priceless.

Poplar is usually used around here for paint grade cabinets.

Post Pictures we like pictures. We also have a saying on here. "No pictures means it didn't happen."

Last edited by rrbrown; 04-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

View 4x15mph's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks all.

I think I used Sandsply for most of the wood along with pine for the cabinet frame.

I purchased the wood from HD and I have to say that I wasn't that happy with the amount of warped pieces. I'll have to be more selective next time.

I am totally confused on whether I should buy a table saw next or whether I should spend upwards on a festool 55EQ instead. I don't have a ton of room but I could organize the garage better to accomodate a table saw if need be. The festool would fit on a shelf.

My next project will be gardener's potters bench for the Mrs' and then I will probably work on some cabinets for the garage.

Any thoughts on festool vs. tablesaw? Can I get away with a smaller (10") table saw for now?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x15mph View Post
Thanks all.

I think I used Sandsply for most of the wood along with pine for the cabinet frame.

I purchased the wood from HD and I have to say that I wasn't that happy with the amount of warped pieces. I'll have to be more selective next time.

I am totally confused on whether I should buy a table saw next or whether I should spend upwards on a festool 55EQ instead. I don't have a ton of room but I could organize the garage better to accomodate a table saw if need be. The festool would fit on a shelf.

My next project will be gardener's potters bench for the Mrs' and then I will probably work on some cabinets for the garage.

Any thoughts on festool vs. tablesaw? Can I get away with a smaller (10") table saw for now?
I would try buying lumber from a local lumber yard or hardwood lumber dealer. However if you really want to save money you should get the rough cut lumber maybe skip planed with a straight line. then plane it yourself. this would involve a planer but in the long run you would save $$$ on lumber. For now most places offer planning for a fee which would still be cheaper and better quality than the big box stores.

I would also say Table saw over a Festool. You could probably get by with a bench top model but a larger saw gives you more power and stability especially for larger sheet goods. You would be better off buying a larger saw even used then getting a new bench top model.

There are many threads on here about types of table saws that will give you good info on what type saws are best.

Knotscott is a member with tons of info on tables saws and blades. If your lucky he will chime in but if I were you I would search the forum for threads or look at knotscott's threads. (Just click his name where he post in a thread and then ckick "find more post by knotscott")
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 PM
buroak

View buroak's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would look into a nice 10" radial arm saw. When space is a concern I feel a radial arm is more versatel than a table saw. Be sure to follow set-up instructions (training the saw) and keep the blade sharp. I still hate the idea of painting wood! It should be finished to show-off the beauty.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
i think people should say how much coin their projects cost to actually build, its amazing to buy , it build it and someone in china can stilll do it for 1/2 with better wood too lol

mdf is perfect for what you want to learn on, use pine faces, you can always wainscot the seen area also, cut the sheet up into 1x stock that you need, you have to seal the area that you cut to do a nice paintjob,
post #8 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihackwood
someone in china can stilll do it for 1/2 with better wood too lol
I've been looking at a few sources for imported lumber lately... I can get sea containers delivered to my door with teak and mahogany for about $4.25/bft...

Just can't justify the qauntities unless I start a lumber yard... Not something I want to do at this point in my life...

~tom
post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
i had 2 sea containers of russian hardwood in storage at my work, it is a huge amount of wood, if you can fathom it, way more than you see at depot lol, its too bad the wood curled like crazy because he never stickered it at first, it took them a week to do it right . he ended up selling it for cheap for flooring,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode