What is whitewood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 09-17-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

View jargo432's Photo Album My Photos
What is whitewood

While at Lowes I realized that what I've been making my chest of drawers is called whitewood. (I thought it was the same as pine) Then I found a section of wood labeled pine. The pine was a little darker in color. So what is the difference between pine and white wood? And what is lodgepole pine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jargo432 View Post
While at Lowes I realized that what I've been making my chest of drawers is called whitewood. (I thought it was the same as pine) Then I found a section of wood labeled pine. The pine was a little darker in color. So what is the difference between pine and white wood? And what is lodgepole pine?
Whitewood is a generic term covering several deciduous species.

If you know the actual species, as in pine, lodgepole, forum member Phind's excellent site is a great place to see terrific pictures of samples of the species. Many other sites have one picture, Phinds has many for a given species, and especially magnified pictures of the end grain, so useful for a positive identification.

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/w...s/#pine,_white
post #3 of 38 Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It's box store terminology for Pine/Spruce.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (03-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I doubt it. "White wood" should refer to the generally colorless sap wood of most arborescent (tree) species.
If you're looking fir figure, color and grain patterns, you're looking for the core wood, the heart wood from most trees.

Trees can't take a dump like people. So, they spread their wastes into old parts of the tree and into the leaves. Leaves fall off. Core/heart wood sustains.

Clearly, the moral of this lecture is just that tree poo is pretty.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For the most part whitewood is a grade of wood also called SPF, meaning spruce, white pine and douglas fir.
Chris Curl likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 PM

Not quite. SPF means any kind of spruce, any kind of pine and any kind of fir. Real fir = Abies sp.
Douglasfir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) is not a "fir" from the botanical/taxonomic POV. So I have to write the common name as a single word.

The 'house fly' is a real fly so that's 2 words. Dragonflies and butterflies are not real flies so those are single words. That is the letter of the biological composition. Anything else is wrong.

We still get some spruce but the blue-grey of the bugwood (aka beetle killed pine) is what they all want to sell for studs/construction. What discourages me is that there's no way to hold the color in finishing.
I built two sets of kitchen storage benches, beautifully figured bugwood. Took me a year to pick out what I wanted to use. Oranges and yellows of fresh wood, blue-grey streaks of bugwood fungus. Varathane and the entire project just looked drab and dirty and old and worn out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
trc65 (09-18-2013)
post #7 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Whitewood is also used as a generic term for hardwoods like poplar or cottonwood. Not at Home Depot though.

Dave in CT, USA
post #8 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jargo432 View Post
white wood can be a lot's of tree's and be a type of pine ? go here and read about this alos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewood
go here and read about the lodgepole pine https://www.google.com/#q=+lodgepole+pine
post #9 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 AM

View dougpke's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

So what I deduct from everything I've read here is that the stuff called whitewood should probably be called "bastard wood" That would be two words because it is wood, but we are all clueless as to who its parents are?.....
bargoon likes this.
post #10 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpke View Post
So what I deduct from everything I've read here is that the stuff called whitewood should probably be called "bastard wood" That would be two words because it is wood, but we are all clueless as to who its parents are?.....
Actually we know the parents. It just doesn't like being called botanical names.

post #11 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Typically "white wood" is softwood pines, firs. spruces.

However, Big Boxes will throw almost anything into that category. Ask the store but you might not get accurate answers.

Howie..........

Last edited by HowardAcheson; 09-19-2013 at 04:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HowardAcheson For This Useful Post:
BWSmith (09-26-2013)
post #12 of 38 Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using white pine to build projects since the late 70's. The wood sold at Lowe's and Home Depot still looks exactly like the boards I bought decades ago. But they call it Whitewood. Good luck finding one that is flat! :-)

I made this corner hutch (used white pine) for my mom in 1983.
I made this toy box for my wife recently (used Whitewood from Lowe's).
Attached Images

post #13 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
A few years ago I was looking for a piece of pine in a HOme Depot. I was standing in an aisle full of construction grade spruce. A young female employee went by, and I stopped her and asked, "Where can I find pine?"

She looked at the shelves around us and said, "Isn't this pine?"

I said, "No it's spruce."

She said, "Oh, I thought they were the same thing."

I haven't heard the term whitewood. Perhaps there is something in Canadian law that says the woods have to be identified by species. They keep pine along with poplar, oak and maple in the local HD. Still, it's not as good as the stuff I can get at a real lumber yard.

Cheers,
Roger
post #14 of 38 Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Paul

View Paulespo's Photo Album My Photos
Could be Maple

While I was at Lowes I saw some ply that was maple, it was pretty white. I also saw Hemlock boards there that were not pricey.

Plunder First Than Burn
post #15 of 38 Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 PM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
In the North west WW stamped on the wood is white fir/hemlock
Doug fir and larch would be marked F/L
Pine is marked PP/LP and Idaho white pine is more expensive and would be marked white pine. Not the same as eastern white pine

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is."– Albert Einstein
post #16 of 38 Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM

"White Wood" has top be some sort of generic color term like 'red' and 'green' so that the staff at Lowe's don't get confused. They can't cope with a buyer/customer who knows the difference between spruce and mahogany.
post #17 of 38 Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 AM

View ctwiggs1's Photo Album My Photos
I've been told by a good friend that white wood is when they're not really sure what it is, so it sells for cheap.

It makes sense because when you buy actual Doug fir up here, you're investing some cash.
post #18 of 38 Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
I would say that soft maple could be classified as white wood, it is much whiter then any mentioned in previous posts. However there is very little grain accent, and is much cheaper then hard maple(sugar maple). Closer to the price of pine, and others mentioned.

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.
post #19 of 38 Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank View Post
I would say that soft maple could be classified as white wood, it is much whiter then any mentioned in previous posts. However there is very little grain accent, and is much cheaper then hard maple(sugar maple). Closer to the price of pine, and others mentioned.
Wood sold in big box stores as "whitewood" is never maple.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #20 of 38 Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM

View chopnhack's Photo Album My Photos
I am surprised no one has mentioned paulownia aka "chinese cedar". There is another contestant for the white wood moniker.
I often think that it slips in on the imported wood goods sold here. From what I have read, it is a fast growing tree which tends to make for weak lumber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode