Woodworking Talk banner

What to use to fill a gap?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RonBenson 
#1 ·
I'm making an end grain cutting board and have found one small spot that evidently didn't get any glue. And one piece of wood might not be perfectly flat. So there's a small gap, (less than 1/64") that I need to fill. I have on hand Titebond II and III, a thin super glue and G/glex 650. I'm thinking the G/flex is the best I have, but would like other's opinions. I still have time to get something else if there's something better than what I have on hand. Here are two photos. The first is a macro shot.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I keep thin offcuts that taper to nothing for just such fillers. Most of my work is with oak, so most of my stored supply is oak of course. If the gap is really thin...I just slim one of my "shims" on the belt sander. I always prefer to fill with the same material/wood that I have the gap in. These hide perfectly and no one has ever seen one of these repairs. I do make an effort to match grain orientation too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.