What type of stain or technique? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 04-24-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

View Eawoodlee's Photo Album My Photos
What type of stain or technique?

Hello fellow wooodworkers, I am trying to duplicate the finish that is on the sideboard in the attached pictures. After sanding I am going to spray a base coat of a NGR dye that is similar to the yellow on the sideboard. Now is where I have a question. To get the look where the yellow is showing through should I use a dark brown NGR dye and spray it on very lightly or should I use a gel or regular wiping stain and wipe it off quickly before too much stain has had time to absorb into the wood? I know how to do all the other steps but if anybody would like to give their opinion on what I should do in the other steps please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-24-2015, 06:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could do that with a NGR stain by brushing it on with a foam brush. I would start with the yellow color and then do the darker color. With a NGR stain you don't wipe off the excess you just apply it and allow it to dry, which is usually only a couple minutes. An NGR stain is similar to ink. I would spray the topcoat over it to prevent it from maybe spreading the dark color over the yellow.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 PM

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
I'm thinking that you would be better off in just buying the same type of wood/veneer that is in the picture. A king wood, black wood or even some walnut followed by a solvent based topcoat slightly tinted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-25-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Steve Neul, I have a difficult time controlling how much dye I apply when I use a foam brush and it needs to be very light to allow the base coat to show through like I want. That is why I am thinking about spraying it on because you can control how much you apply much easier. But I will do some tests with the foam brush and a wet rag to remove the dye if I apply to much. Thanks for your suggestions.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

CNYWOODS, I am using oak which is the same wood. My question was more about the best product and application. I like the idea of using the slightly tinted solvent based topcoat. I haven't thought about that but I will try and see if it gives me the results I'm after. Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 AM

You might try a regular brush. I suggested the foam brush because it is less likely to drip dye. You would have to be careful not to pass over the yellow stained wood with the dark dye. One drip and it would be all over. With a dye you can apply it over and over until you get enough on and if need be take a rag wet with alcohol and rub it in and blend it uniform. For what you are doing with such a distinct edge between the yellow and the dark you would never achieve that spraying it. Even if you masked off the yellow there would be a jagged edge where the dye would run under the tape.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eawoodlee
CNYWOODS, I am using oak which is the same wood. My question was more about the best product and application. I like the idea of using the slightly tinted solvent based topcoat. I haven't thought about that but I will try and see if it gives me the results I'm after. Thanks for your help.

Not to argue but if you look at the DF in this picture

Name:  image-4116721817.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  69.3 KB

You will see that the sap wood is all the way thru. They call it oak... Because if the called it what it actually was then no one would buy it. Because of the commonality of the word oak.

The grain is off for oak imo. And I just can't see a production company taking the time to perfectly tape the sap. Even if they steamed it you still would have the bleed thru in the sap.

Just my 2 cents that a slab of walnut for the drawer fronts and soft maple for the rest would save you so much work and me thinks uoud be happier.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM

Name:  image-67131453.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  160.8 KB
post #9 of 19 Old 04-25-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Steve Neul, you have a good point there and I will definitely try that out but I was also planning on using a new tape kit that all but guarantees to seal for a clean edge. It actually comes with a brush and a sealer that you brush over the edge of the tape so the paint does not seep underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1429998951827.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	153266  

post #10 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

CYNWOOD, I welcome your opInion and don't consider it arguing. The reason I'm on this forum is to get help and opinions from people. I never looked to close to the side of the buffet. But they said it was seared oak and that you could tell by the cathedral grain and when I bought the wood I looked for lumber that had a lot of cathedral grain in it. I am attaching another pic of the side. Does this not look like oak to you? I'm not sure and that's why I'm asking you. Is there a reason that you suggest using soft maple, is it easier to work with?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1430290216179.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	154018  

Attached Images

post #11 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 07:52 AM

The frog tape is intended for latex products. It isn't that effective for stains. Better try it on some scrap wood before you try it on your cabinet. Tape might help but pretend it isn't there when you apply the stain and just rely on the tape for accidents.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

CYNWOODS, I just found the same buffet made of sappy walnut. I like it much better but I don't know where to get sappy Walnut. Maybe I can find it online and have it shipped. That is if I can return the oak that I bought. The solid lumber is not a problem but the oak veneered plywood got torn up on the corners when I was moving it maybe I can glue and clamp it back together good enough where you can't notice it. Look at the pics of the sappy walnut buffet and tells if you like it better than the seard oak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1430322221163.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	154081  

Attached Images

post #13 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep that in mind.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Steve Neul, thanks for telling me because I didn't know that.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM

Soft maple is just my go to for anything stained. Yes I perfer it over oak any day. I would go ahead and use the oak for the sides and top and sorce some walnut for the drawer fronts. I'd ship you some but that wouldn't be cost effective.

What type of stain or technique?-image-247904294.jpg
post #16 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 PM

What type of stain or technique?-image-2841506970.jpg

Kingwood
post #17 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 PM

What type of stain or technique?-image-1981857037.jpg

More walnut
post #18 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

CYNWOODS, that is very beautiful black walnut. I am actually using black walnut for a live edge dining room table right now. Maybe you can give me some tips to get a good finish. My current plans are to step sand to 220, spray xtr a dark walnut NGR dye, spray sanding sealer and hand sand w/ 220, spray Xtra dark walnut stain and the apply at least three coats of lacquer and sanding between coats. If you can suggest something different please tell me. I am including pictures of the black walnut I'm using even though you cannot see the true color because the light was not optimal but the true color looks the same as your black walnut slab. I'm also including pics of the table I'm building. Also can you suggest how to keep the live edge? Should I spray the live edge with a dye that is similar to the natural color of the live edge, then tape the live edge and dye and stain the rest of the wood or should I not spray the edge with a dye and just tape and then dye and stain the rest of the wood and then remove the tape and spray the live edge with a tinted lacquer? I am also including two pics of a table that is finished in the color I am trying match. I really appreciate all of your professional help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1430338444969.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	154209  

Name:	image_1430338517005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	154225  

Attached Images

post #19 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 PM

What kind of lacquer are you using? The pictures of the table - I don't think they used a stain. That's the color the lacquer( solvent) will turn the walnut. So I'd skip the stain. Yes follow your sanding schedule ( I always go 1 grit higher on the end grain then the rest)but I need to know type of lacquer your choosing and means of delivery to substrate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode