What type of saw to dismantle one side of pallet? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

View Bubbakeg17's Photo Album My Photos
What type of saw to dismantle one side of pallet?

Hi all,

I have a small pallet recycling shop and am looking for ideas.

I need to to efficiently transform lots of wooden 48x45 pallets to 48x40. The best way I can figure is to trim 5 inches off the boards on one side (top and bottom) and then re-fasten the stringer in place. Is there some sort of large table saw that would be able to cut through both top and bottom boards of a pallet simultaneously?

Any ideas or equipment recommendations will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
don't use a table saw even if ....

A blade that for that depth would be around 14" or more, much too large to have exposed while cutting a floppy piece between the blade and fence OR having the cut off on the left side of the blade. The danger being it may fall back into or onto the spinning blade, causing a kickback.

The alternative is to use a standard 10" table saw with about 2" of blade exposed and just flip the pallet over making two separate passes. Due caution is still required!

A circular saw is typically used to break down pallets with a "nail cutting" blade:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW3191...ing+saw+blades

You may want to use an edge guide with a backing board to ride over the irregularities in the planks. Like this:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...a3602/4283497/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-07-2017 at 06:31 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2017, 10:24 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
How about a band saw? You could do both sides of the pallet at once. You'd have to be sure your wood is nail-free first, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What is the purpose of the pallets? Used as pallets would get irritating having the center board off-center. Probably the safest way to cut the pallets is to use a hand held circular saw and a cheater board. It would only cut one side at a time but think it could be done quickly.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
How about a band saw? You could do both sides of the pallet at once. You'd have to be sure your wood is nail-free first, though.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pall...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode