What type of plywood for painted cabinet ends? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph

post #1 of 6 Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

View nolo's Photo Album My Photos
What type of plywood for painted cabinet ends?

I need to make refrigerator end panels. I'm just going to paint them to match the cabinets. What type of plywood is best for this? Should I buy hardwood plywood or just cabinet grade playwood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I always like to use the best lumber, within reason, that I can afford.

George
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Birch or maple plywood would paint well. You just need a plywood with a smooth surface. The box stores sell plywood such as sande. I believe it's one of species of mahogany and it has a texture to it that will show through the paint unless you use a lot of primer sanding between coats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2016, 11:45 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
The birch and maple plywood at the box stores is noticeably harder than the sanded plywood they sell that Steve mentioned. I'm building a set of kitchen cabinets right now for my son. He wants shaker style cabinets painted white. I used birch lumber for all the face frames, door frames, and finished end panel frames. I bought 1/2" and 3/4" birch plywood from Home Depit. It's actually prett decent, with one side being real nice, the other side pretty good too. Both sides suitable for painting.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
Attached Images

subroc likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
The birch and maple plywood at the box stores is noticeably harder than the sanded plywood they sell that Steve mentioned. I'm building a set of kitchen cabinets right now for my son. He wants shaker style cabinets painted white. I used birch lumber for all the face frames, door frames, and finished end panel frames. I bought 1/2" and 3/4" birch plywood from Home Depit. It's actually prett decent, with one side being real nice, the other side pretty good too. Both sides suitable for painting.
Looks like your project is coming along nicely.

Are you brushing or spraying the finish? Finish for inside the cabinets, the same as the exterior?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-07-2016, 07:54 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I'm planning on setting up a spray booth and spray them. I have a variety of commercial spray equipment. Planning on using a good quality HVLP gun set up to spray latex. I am not sure on the inside. It would be easy to just spray a clear finish, but I would have to mask areas off twice. Probably will spray the insides white to match the outside. All the doors and drawer fronts are made. Just have three more cabinets to build yet, 36" lazy Susan corner cabinet, 24" angle wall corner cabinet, and a 16" base cabinet with an angled front. Have to make the drawer boxes yet too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode