Woodworking Talk banner

What tools would you want for Christmas?

5K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  LuckyNumber7 
#1 ·
So, My MIL and SIL (I married into a great Family) are already hounding me for X-mas lists. This year I think I am going to ask for wood working tools.
the first thing is a digital angle finder for the table saw, and maybe a digital angle finder ruler.

So what would you ask for? I am looking for small or cheaper items. my inlaws are great but not made of money.

also how is the wixley brand?

#5 · (Edited)
Wixey tools are fine; I have several.

The digital angle finder is a good tool. Other good items to have (that won't break the bank) are below:

1. A good machnists square. I use my 6" all the time.
2. Dial calipers (either digital or dial - I use both).
3. A high quality combination square (this is a good area not to skimp). This month's FWW magazine has a nice comparison. They rank Starrett the best, but the PEC tool is the best "value".
4. A Wixey digital height indicator. I use mine all the time on the tablesaw and router table.
5. Some good steel rules.

BTW - this isn't the list that "I would want" for myself, as I already have these. However, this is the list that I would recommend for you based upon your post.

Personally, I'd like a new metal lathe!

#6 ·
I usually request a gift card for Rockler or other company.

Sometimes I combine the card with some of my own money.

Its hard to say what I'll buy. I'll definitely be watching this thread for ideas.

Jeff

#8 ·
I just installed the planer gauge on my new to me Dewalt 735. Setup is quite easy. It sits on the rail that shows how thick you are cutting to. All you have to do is make sure the bottom portion is flat with the planer bed, then calibrate it, and it's good. You will have to drill a hole in your measurement guide and screw the gauge rail into it though. But that was easy to do.

I also have the angle gauge from them. Very easy to use, and gets you to within 0.1 deg. I'd buy both again.

#10 ·
scsmith42 said:
Wixey tools are fine; I have several.

The digital angle finder is a good tool. Other good items to have (that won't break the bank) are below:

1. A good machnists square. I use my 6" all the time.
2. Dial calipers (either digital or dial - I use both).
3. A high quality combination square (this is a good area not to skimp). This month's FWW magazine has a nice comparison. They rank Starrett the best, but the PEC tool is the best "value".
4. A Wixey digital height indicator. I use mine all the time on the tablesaw and router table.
5. Some good steel rules.
+1 these are good suggestions. The Stanley contractor grade combination square gets good marks at its price range.

#11 ·
I have two Wixey digital angle finders. I purchased one, and later purchased a Wixey digital rule for the table saw, which included a "free" digital angle finder.

They all gather dust, but for different reasons.

My digital angle finders go through batteries. I am frustrated that the few times I need to use for some odd angle, the battery is dead and this is with very little use.

The Wixey digital rule is just not accurate enough. Good idea, but the method to read the position is not accurate enough. A slight nudge and the scale jumps to the next position, but by eye I can see I am just slightly one side of a line. The positioning method needs higher resolution. The display is 3 places of decimal, but practically I use the fraction readout. Perhaps it is just the method to convert decimal to fraction which causes the "jump".

#12 ·
Stanley #55 plane with all 4 box cutters.
Even if I have to make my own blades due to excessive pitting on the old ones, I'd sell my right kidney for one of these.

It's probably all I want for christmas.

Beautiful, just beautiful...

#13 ·
If I already had all the needed woodworking tools I needed, I might put those woodworking toys on the list. Hardly a needed tool in my book.
Dial caliper, yes
Nice squares, yes

A lot depends on what you already have, and what price range we are talking. 20" planer would be nice!

#15 ·
Calzone said:
Stanley #55 plane with all 4 box cutters.
Even if I have to make my own blades due to excessive pitting on the old ones, I'd sell my right kidney for one of these.

It's probably all I want for Christmas.

Beautiful, just beautiful...
Yeah. I haven't even begun hand tooling yet but that plane speaks to me. It's magical. Like I'm seven years old and its the latest bike with high rise handle bars, a banana seat and chrome fenders.

Jeff

#17 ·
No joke. I've been drooling over that stuff for years.

It's just way out of my price range.

I finally had to send Woodpecker e.mails to my spam file.

Just too painful to read.

:(

#23 ·
No joke. I've been drooling over that stuff for years.

It's just way out of my price range.

I finally had to send Woodpecker e.mails to my spam file.

Just too painful to read.

:(
Yeah, but it makes for a GREAT Xmas wishlist:yes:

#25 ·
A Tiltbox like Kenbo has. I keep forgetting to look it up and get one. Then I see one of his pics and remember that I want one. In fact, lemme go look that up now...

*EDIT*
Found it, and it's only $40! Happy un-birthday to me!
http://www.bealltool.com/products/measuring/tiltbox.php
Mine came in the mail last Thursday, along with the fractional caliper. The first thing I did was check my table saw blade. It was dead on. It is certainly good to know for sure. The real help will be when I do some angle cuts. Thanks Kenbo for recommending it!

Looks like I will be asking for a planer for Christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.