What are some good wood working projects for kids with limited equipment? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

View abelara's Photo Album My Photos
Hello, I'm doing this post for me niece and nephew both of them are 12yrs old. They like to make stuff for their dad and mom for Christmas. I want to introduce them to woodworking. this Christmas. I have some experience in wood working but not very extensive. Some equipment I have are. reciprocating saw Hand saw chisel Basic wood carving tools (wood carving as well) Wood burning ket measuring tape, t square Clamps Wood glue I also have basic home tools such as hammer, screwdriver, wrench etc Do you have some ideas they can make with adult supervision of coarse, thank you

Last edited by abelara; 11-18-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
First - I would go out and buy 2 coping saws that will cost you about $12. These will allow you to cut curves and some basic shapes, painted make nice little Christmas ornaments. Years ago I got my wife's Christmas cookie cutters and the boys cut and painted bells, trees, reindeer, and snowmen from thin wood. We still hang them on the tree and they point them out to the grandchildren.

Another option would be bird feeders or houses.

How about a carrying tote...

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
Limited Tools

Good afternoon. The first woodworking project I made with my father was a set of "Bookends" that I will never forget; it was 1960. The bookends were cut using a coping saw. They were of two horses heads made from 3/4" pine with 1/4" manes sandwiched in between. The manes kept the two horses heads apart enough so you couldn't see that they were not "exactly" the same. That started a life time of wood working for me and though my father is long gone I will never forget making those with him.

Best of Luck,

Bandman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 04:45 PM

View Knot in my wood's Photo Album My Photos
Bird houses are cheap, easy, fast and make nice gifts. There are plenty of free plans on the Internet.

Regards,

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode