What size drawer I need for single center slide? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

View gbwood's Photo Album My Photos
What size drawer I need for single center slide?

I have drawers opening 9 x 6 x 17

The depth is actually deeper then 17, but it does not matter
I am going to use 16" long bottom center mount slide. I have measured it and it is 3/8 high.

What would you recommend for the clearance on the sides and on the top?

(I have searched, but cannot find the answer. )

And another question. What drawers bottom should I use 1/4 or 1/2 ?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Throughout my 66 years on this planet, I have had to live with that type of drawer hardware for a long time. I hate them. Period. This past year, we remodeled our kitchen. All the drawers now have side mount soft close ball bearing slides.

About your drawers, read what the installation instructions say for your hardware. Surely it will say what the clearances should be.

Good luck. I hope yours are better than the cabinets we had to live with.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming you mean a wooden guide instead of mechanical slides you make the drawer box nearly the same size of the opening. I would make the box 9 3/8"x 5 15/16"x 17".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Throughout my 66 years on this planet, I have had to live with that type of drawer hardware for a long time. I hate them. Period. This past year, we remodeled our kitchen. All the drawers now have side mount soft close ball bearing slides.

About your drawers, read what the installation instructions say for your hardware. Surely it will say what the clearances should be.

Good luck. I hope yours are better than the cabinets we had to live with.

Thanks! It makes me to think again about the slides.
The instruction does not say what the clearance should be, it it written for existing drawers/cabinets.

So, you are saying center bottom, even the ball bearing slides are no good?

I did not cut any wood yet, just trying to decide what would be better slides. The only reason I wanted it because I don't want to loose 1/2" on both sides, the drawers are not that big.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Assuming you mean a wooden guide instead of mechanical slides you make the drawer box nearly the same size of the opening. I would make the box 9 3/8"x 5 15/16"x 17".
Sorry, I did not make myself clear, this is the ball bearing slide
only 3/8" tall.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 08:07 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Our drawers had the center slide and a nylon roller on each side mounted on the face frame. More than once the slide came loose or broke off. Other times, the rollers just wore out.

Search YouTube. There are a lot of videos about installing drawers in cabinets. Find one you like and feel like you can replicate their installation method.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Our drawers had the center slide and a nylon roller on each side mounted on the face frame. More than once the slide came loose or broke off. Other times, the rollers just wore out.

Search YouTube. There are a lot of videos about installing drawers in cabinets. Find one you like and feel like you can replicate their installation method.
Hmm, it makes me reconsider for side slides,
I will not worry about the drawer bottom them, and there are mor information about them on the net.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For side mount slides you make the drawer box an inch smaller in width than the opening. The depth of the drawer is customarily made the size of the drawer hardware which is in 2" increments from 10" to I believe 28". The height of the drawer I would make 9".

The mechanical center mount slide you would make the box 8 3/4" tall and 5 7/8" wide and if you have less than 18" depth in the cabinet I would make the box 16" and use 16" slides.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbwood View Post
I did not cut any wood yet, just trying to decide what would be better slides. The only reason I wanted it because I don't want to loose 1/2" on both sides, the drawers are not that big.
GB
It is a small drawer. You don't want to give up another inch for side mount slides.
If you choose center mount hardware, make your drawer width only 1/4" narrower than your drawer opening.
Make the sides (top to bottom) a full 1" shorter than the opening.
This will give you room to install the drawer on the rail.
With such a small drawer, you should not have problems with a center mount guide. CM guides can be a problem for larger, heavier and heavily used drawers, but your drawer is small. I think you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode