Whatís in Chair Doctor? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Quickstep
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Whatís in Chair Doctor?

Chair Doctor is a product thatís been around for years. It says it makes the wood swell and tightens the joint.

Does anyone know whatís in it that make the wood swell and not shrink back?
Onefreetexan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Chair Doctor is a product thatís been around for years. It says it makes the wood swell and tightens the joint.

Does anyone know whatís in it that make the wood swell and not shrink back?
Water will cause wood to swell, add a drop of detergent to the water and this makes the wood swell more rapidly. Now the quest is to keep the wood swollen. By adding a non evopration agent such as a glycol, this prevents the drying out of the wood and retains the swell. The one that is non toxic, and available is at pharmacies is glycerine.

The mixture of wood glue,thinned slightly with clean water then a drop of dish soap with an equal amount of glyerine to glue well mixed, then coated on both the surfaces that has been lightly sanded and the parts pushed together. Clamp for 24 he. Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Snake oil.

It's a watered down resin called vinyl acrylic polymer which is similar to the resin that holds latex paint together. It's only a temporary fix to a chair kind of like you used super glue. The only true fix to a chair is to break it down and reglue it with epoxy. The snake oil is counter productive in that it will bond some joints slightly loose and when you start breaking it down to do a real repair it won't come apart and then in time it will fail when you can't get the chair apart because of the epoxy.
Tony B likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Yes I have used resin such as Plastic Padding to fulfil the same function.
johnep
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not looking to repair a chair with it.

Using Chairs Doctor was suggested on a guitar building forum for use when installing frets. Guitar frets have little tangs on the side that get pressed into a slot. The tang grabs the wood in the slot to hold the fret in. The idea was to put chair doctor in the slot when installing the fret so the surrounding wood would swell around the tangs, stay swollen and give the tangs a better purchase.

I'm trying to figure out if it will really work. It sounds like the question is - what's in Chair doctor that swells the wood and, does it really stay swollen? I don't see how it could, but who knows...
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 01:44 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
there are a couple compounds sold with this "purpose" but their chemical composition is not all the same.
Swel-Lok - from the MSDS looks to be superglue.
WonderLok - MSDS not found

for Chair Doctor (made in Canada) here's one from Australia - "self-crosslinking vinyl acrylic polymer emulsion"
https://www.carbatec.com.au/document...05K99-04_6.pdf

if people who make guitars say it works, I'd believe that long before any marketing claims.....
post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 02:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm not looking to repair a chair with it.

Using Chairs Doctor was suggested on a guitar building forum for use when installing frets. Guitar frets have little tangs on the side that get pressed into a slot. The tang grabs the wood in the slot to hold the fret in. The idea was to put chair doctor in the slot when installing the fret so the surrounding wood would swell around the tangs, stay swollen and give the tangs a better purchase.

I'm trying to figure out if it will really work. It sounds like the question is - what's in Chair doctor that swells the wood and, does it really stay swollen? I don't see how it could, but who knows...
I'm afraid I've never made a instrument in my life and I'm not a musician either. From a purely woodworking position the chair doctor is only going to expand the wood the tiniest amount and even though they say it will stay swollen it doesn't. The fibers of the wood will shrink as it dries like anything else. If you want the parts to adhere an adhesive is in order.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
This from Lee Valley:

Chair Doctorô glue does exactly what the name implies; it fixes chairs. If a chair has a loose rung, an injection of Chair Doctor glue will first swell the rung and then bond it in position.
The secret is the low viscosity. It will soak into the end grain of wood, swell the wood and then freeze the wood in the swollen state as it cures. A film of dry glue lines the wood cells, preventing contraction. The glue can penetrate the narrowest of cracks. If you happen to leave any excess or spillage, it can be removed with a damp cloth. Any missed on a surface will dry clear.

Chair Doctor comes in a 2 fl oz bottle with a slim applicator tip that lets you place the glue accurately. Chair Doctor Pro includes 4 fl oz of glue, 1 syringe, and 3 sizes of blunt-tip needles. Usually, you let Chair Doctor glue seep into a loose joint, but for many loose joints you can actually slip our finest needle alongside the tenon to the base of the socket, then inject it full of glue. For very difficult repairs, you can drill a tiny hole (from below or behind) and inject glue into a joint that way. With a syringe, it is very easy to do a large number of joints quickly and neatly. Even better, everything cleans with just water so the needles and syringe are reusable indefinitely.

For regular cabinetmaking, our 2002 GF glue is definitely the best choice, but for fixing loose joints (where you cannot or do not want to take everything apart), Chair Doctor glue is ideal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Packard For This Useful Post:
Onefreetexan (05-03-2019)
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Using Chairs Doctor was suggested on a guitar building forum for use when installing frets. Guitar frets have little tangs on the side that get pressed into a slot.
The question in my mind is that the fret board is usually ebony. I don't know what or how much ebony would expand from moisture.

The only music that I play is on the radio. I would think that a little moisture on the area where a fret would be placed, then cut the groove and press the fret into place. As the ebony returns to equilibrium it will grip the fret even tighter. All of that being said, I don't ever recall hearing of anyone losing a fret from a guitar.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
I tried Chair Dictor and it was just a temporary fix. It was initially tight but loosened up again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode