What kinds of wood do well with "lots of" heat? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

View aarf's Photo Album My Photos
What kinds of wood do well with "lots of" heat?

I'm currently building a desktop computer and I thought instead of paying for a plastic case, it might be fun to build a nice one out of wood.

Now if the computer works properly, it should never get really "hot", as in the air circulating through it won't EVER be over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. But I'd rather be safe than blow up a computer, start a fire, and waste my money.

Any suggestions on what type of wood I should use?

Last edited by aarf; 01-07-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Any wood will work for your project. 100 degrees isn't going to ignite anything. Just make sure the computer has proper ventilation and it'll be fine.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarf View Post
I'm currently building a desktop computer and I thought instead of paying for a plastic case, it might be fun to build a nice one out of wood.

Now if the computer works properly, it should never get really "hot", as in the air circulating through it won't EVER be over 100 degrees. But I'd rather be safe than blow up a computer, start a fire, and waste my money.

Any suggestions on what type of wood I should use?
If the max temperature is 100 deg F, then you can use whatever wood you desire.

It takes several hundred deg F to begin to make wood char.

However, it does not take much heat to make wood warp, check or twist due to losing moisture.

I would be more concerned about dimensional movement due to the wood losing moisture from the heat a long time before it will char, and even longer before it would burst on fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

View aarf's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
If the max temperature is 100 deg F, then you can use whatever wood you desire.

It takes several hundred deg F to begin to make wood char.

However, it does not take much heat to make wood warp, check or twist due to losing moisture.

I would be more concerned about dimensional movement due to the wood losing moisture from the heat a long time before it will char, and even longer before it would burst on fire.
Thanks, I didn't think much about the wood warping from extended periods of exposure to heat, but I will definitely have to take that into consideration. I think that if I take care to make it well ventilated, it should be fine.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM

View ctwiggs1's Photo Album My Photos
please post pics regardless -sounds cool!!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
I believe the primary problem with wood as a computer case material is that it is more insulative than metal. The computer will choke, die, and shut down before the wood will burn. With modern hardware the days of a CPU going nuts and melting a hole in the motherboard should be over...

I think as long as your design ensures proper ventilation it'd work.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgaron View Post
I believe the primary problem with wood as a computer case material is that it is more insulative than metal. The computer will choke, die, and shut down before the wood will burn. With modern hardware the days of a CPU going nuts and melting a hole in the motherboard should be over...

I think as long as your design ensures proper ventilation it'd work.
this as long as you have good air flow or liquid cooling you will not have any issues.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never seen a computer yet (even the old ones) put out enough heat to even feel warmth on the wood underneath.

George
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
You would have problems with your finish well before you will have problems with the wood. Many finishes begin to soften at 130-150 degrees.

Howie..........
post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
As long as you install the proper shunt the primary containment field should be enough to curtail a warp core breach.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode