What Happened? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

View OHNOIMONFIRE's Photo Album My Photos
What Happened?

Hi All,

Today I got about 5 seconds into using my plunge router on a template when the cutting stops and the bit falls on the floor. I always tighten my bits pretty tight, so I take the router motor out to inspect what the problem was. I also unscrew the router collet from the router base. (I have a Bosch 1617).

As I loosen the router collet, the black exterior of the collet comes off like it usually does when I unscrew it, only the inside of the collet isn't there...it's still in the inside of the base. I had to remove it with pliers.

What happened?

I ordered a new collet but was this due to poor maintenance? I've used this collet for close to a year.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Follow me and my current projects on Instagram! OHNOIMONFIRE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOIMONFIRE View Post
Hi All,

Today I got about 5 seconds into using my plunge router on a template when the cutting stops and the bit falls on the floor. I always tighten my bits pretty tight, so I take the router motor out to inspect what the problem was. I also unscrew the router collet from the router base. (I have a Bosch 1617).

As I loosen the router collet, the black exterior of the collet comes off like it usually does when I unscrew it, only the inside of the collet isn't there...it's still in the inside of the base. I had to remove it with pliers.

What happened?

I ordered a new collet but was this due to poor maintenance? I've used this collet for close to a year.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, sounds like the collet was loose from the nut when you installed the bit.
The 1617 has "self releasing" collets. The collet itself has a groove just below the top edge and the nut has a lip inside it's top edge. The two must be snapped together before the bit is inserted. They must never be installed on the router without a proper sized bit and tightened either. The collet and nut should never need to be seperated.
The function of the lip and the collet groove is so the nut can pull the collet out when you remove the nut. If tightened with no bit, or an undersized one, you can deform the collet.

I've got a pdf from Woodhaven explaining the difference between the different common collet configurations but it is 2 megabytes and to large to post. PM me if you want a copy.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
OHNOIMONFIRE (01-22-2013), smokey1945 (01-22-2013)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 1617EVS mounted in a router table, and 1613EVS which was purchased before I built the router table.

They have the same collet.

Providing this as FYI. I do not think this is your issue, just passing along.

I have experienced the collet coming out of the nut. In my case it was while the router was stationary and without a bit in the collet. In fact the lack of bit may have been the root cause.

I found out if the collet is empty and I tighten the nut too much, the collet compresses - as designed - but if compressed too much, it falls out of the spring clip. Oops.

It was not difficult to get the collet back on the spring clip, but lesson learned.

If the collet is empty, I do not tighten the nut, just screw back on loosely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
smokey1945 (01-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

View OHNOIMONFIRE's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine
I have the 1617EVS mounted in a router table, and 1613EVS which was purchased before I built the router table.

They have the same collet.

Providing this as FYI. I do not think this is your issue, just passing along.

I have experienced the collet coming out of the nut. In my case it was while the router was stationary and without a bit in the collet. In fact the lack of bit may have been the root cause.

I found out if the collet is empty and I tighten the nut too much, the collet compresses - as designed - but if compressed too much, it falls out of the spring clip. Oops.

It was not difficult to get the collet back on the spring clip, but lesson learned.

If the collet is empty, I do not tighten the nut, just screw back on loosely.
Thank you Dave. Sounds exactly like what my problem was.

Follow me and my current projects on Instagram! OHNOIMONFIRE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode