What to do with a small stump? (Christmas tree) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

View raindog308's Photo Album My Photos
Question What to do with a small stump? (Christmas tree)

This is the stump from the first Christmas tree my wife and I bought, 11 years ago this December. It's a fir...though I don't remember if it was Douglas or Noble. About 4" in diameter one way, 5" the other (it's sort of oblong).

I saved it with the thought of someday doing a project...but I haven't really come up with any great ideas. I could cut it into discs for coasters I suppose...or make it into some kind of candle holder...not really coming up with great ideas LOL

I also thought of perhaps taking it to someone who does turning...not sure what they'd "turn" it into though. I'm a bit of a neanderthal woodworker myself and don't have any carving or artistic abilities.

Really looking for suggestions...obviously, if it was just a stump I'd found in the woods, I would never have kept it, but because of the nostalgic connection, I'd like to make it into a Christmas present for my wife.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Why not make one or more Christmas tree ornaments.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
The section where the branches are (were) would make an interesting plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Cut the ends flat and seal them to lesson checking. Strip the bark...then let it dry for one year per inch thickness. It will give you plenty of time to consider what to make.
mjadams61 likes this.

Gary
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

View raindog308's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Cut the ends flat and seal them to lesson checking. Strip the bark...then let it dry for one year per inch thickness. It will give you plenty of time to consider what to make.

All of my woodworking has been with ready-to-use wood that's already dry, so I'm ignorant of proper drying procedure.

This has been sitting in my garage for 11 years, with the usual four seasons' variations in temperature and humidity. Are you saying that stripping the bark is necessary for complete drying? Asking in complete ignorance here.

Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think after 11 years the wood is safe to use. A log takes more than a year per inch but it's no where near 11" in diameter.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 09:21 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
All of my woodworking has been with ready-to-use wood that's already dry, so I'm ignorant of proper drying procedure.

This has been sitting in my garage for 11 years, with the usual four seasons' variations in temperature and humidity. Are you saying that stripping the bark is necessary for complete drying? Asking in complete ignorance here.

Thanks!
Time to make something!
mjadams61 likes this.

Gary
post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post

It has already been drying for 11 years. I would expect that it is as dry as it is going to get in its ambient environment.

George
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 AM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
raindog it is ready to make something out of it and Me myself see alot of Christmas ornaments there :) Maybe something with the year of the Christmas tree carved in it :)

Marlin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode