Woodworking Talk banner

What to do with a small stump? (Christmas tree)

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Tool Agnostic 
#1 ·
This is the stump from the first Christmas tree my wife and I bought, 11 years ago this December. It's a fir...though I don't remember if it was Douglas or Noble. About 4" in diameter one way, 5" the other (it's sort of oblong).

I saved it with the thought of someday doing a project...but I haven't really come up with any great ideas. I could cut it into discs for coasters I suppose...or make it into some kind of candle holder...not really coming up with great ideas LOL

I also thought of perhaps taking it to someone who does turning...not sure what they'd "turn" it into though. I'm a bit of a neanderthal woodworker myself and don't have any carving or artistic abilities.

Really looking for suggestions...obviously, if it was just a stump I'd found in the woods, I would never have kept it, but because of the nostalgic connection, I'd like to make it into a Christmas present for my wife.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#5 ·
All of my woodworking has been with ready-to-use wood that's already dry, so I'm ignorant of proper drying procedure.

This has been sitting in my garage for 11 years, with the usual four seasons' variations in temperature and humidity. Are you saying that stripping the bark is necessary for complete drying? Asking in complete ignorance here.

Thanks!

#10 ·
Forgot to come back and update when I was done.

This is definitely not impressive by this forum's standards, but it completely thrilled my wife. I cut a 1" thick disc out of the stump and then carved the year we got married (and our first Christmas tree together) into it. Added a hole through the top and a red ribbon and it looked great on the tree!

I'd never done this kind of carving (or really any carving) before, so it was fun to learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.