Started a make-over of my old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw table. Taking me much longer than I thought it would. Installed new casters, readjusted height to match the table saw, replaced old plywood table with MDF. Old table was only 42 years old.
I still have the fence and new sawdust dust catcher to complete.
I will install a new T-rail on the new fence for a new adjustable stop and left & right adhesive tape measures I got at Rocklers.
After several hours, I started thinking, what was I thinking of to start this? The old table/fence was still working fine and I'm getting too old to lift heavy machinery. Much more time consuming than I thought it would be. I may post a picture when complete.
Same story, different machine, here. I traded a one day install for a 20 year old, G1023 with a hydraulic motor (they're Amish), a 3 hp SawStop motor, and a homemade, 5' long fence with a 10'
I brought it all home a week ago Saturday afternoon. I took it apart and cleaned it up the then. I took out a sheet metal catch pan that I think they had the dust collector hooked to. Yesterday afternoon I started trying to put things together.
The saw has a triple 3/8" belt pulley. All I could find locally was a double 1/2" belt pulley for the saw. I took the saw pulley shaft out to see if I could put a matching double pulley on it, but the shaft is metric and no place had metric shaft pulleys. I ended up using the double 1/2" pulley on the motor, the original triple pulley on the saw and running 3/8" belts on them.
The belts are very slightly out of parallel, but not enough to cause problems. The local auto parts store is used to me "creating" things. I grabbed a handful of belts to see what length I needed and took back the wrong ones. This belt and pulley runaround took most of the afternoon. :frown2:
The motor bracket doesn't quite line up, but I was able to use a 3/8" bolt for the belt tensioning slot and got the motor mounted and wired up. I tightened up few other things and quit for the day.
I am going to cut down the rail. I will probably go with 4 or 5 feet. It will take at least
another whole day to get this thing up and running and get a table built around it. I wasn't planning on this much work, but I still think it was a good deal.