What is best way to make bevel edge on cabinet door - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kwiinch
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By kwiinch

post #1 of 8 Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

View kwiinch's Photo Album My Photos
What is best way to make bevel edge on cabinet door

I am trying to duplicate the cabinet doors in my daughters new house. The outer edge has a beveled edge that rounds over at the narrow point (see pic). I tried a bevel cut on my table saw but of course it wasn't rounded. Is there a router bit I could use in my table? What is it called and where is the best place to get one?

BTW the chamfer I think I can do but haven't tried that one yet. It's the bevel on the top outer edge that I'm referring to.
Attached Images

Toolman50 likes this.

Last edited by kwiinch; 03-03-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
I think it was done with two (or more) processes. Bevel cut on table saw, then the rounded edge with a router or shaper. Maybe the whole edge was done with a shaper?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 8 Old 03-03-2017, 07:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
reverse enginering an edge profile is ....

It's one of the most difficult things to do, not only in person, but especially over the net. You get out your box of router bits and start holding them vertically to the edge and see what works. If that comes up "dry" you then look online at various other edge profiles. If that don't work either, you carry the piece to the cabinet shop and ask them for help....
firehawkmph likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Try this one....
http://www.hardwaresales.com/whitesi...imEaAmEF8P8HAQ

Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

post #5 of 8 Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

That looks like what I need. I'm going to order one.

Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

Now for a question on the inside edge. It has a double stacked bead which was made with a rail & style cutter. I found one that looked the same at Rockler today but it says it is "15/16 class". No one there could tell me what that means. Does that mean it is for stock that is 15/16 thick? After measuring it it looks like it was going to be too wide for 3/4 stock.

In the pic you can see the molding I made using two passes with a 1/8 round over. I'll use that if I can't find rail & style cutters to match.
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 Old 03-05-2017, 05:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiinch View Post
Now for a question on the inside edge. It has a double stacked bead which was made with a rail & style cutter. I found one that looked the same at Rockler today but it says it is "15/16 class". No one there could tell me what that means. Does that mean it is for stock that is 15/16 thick? After measuring it it looks like it was going to be too wide for 3/4 stock.

In the pic you can see the molding I made using two passes with a 1/8 round over. I'll use that if I can't find rail & style cutters to match.
Don't feel bad, I've been doing woodworking for 45 years and have never heard that term. It must be some word that tool company uses. A quick search on the internet and I can only find 15/16" diameter or 15/16" cutting length. Even at Rockler I get this message, "There were no documents that contained all of the words in your query".

Just guessing I would say the bit will handle wood up to 15/16" thick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (03-10-2017)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
KWinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I just bought this bit from MLCS and it too says it is 15/16 C.HT. I guess that means cutting height maximum.
firehawkmph likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode