Wen Planer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
G.I.T.S.

View NewBi's Photo Album My Photos
Wen Planer

Greetings,

I have a Wen 13" Planer (Model # 6552. It cuts thicker on the left side that it does the right. Does anyone know how to level it up? I don't know if it is the head that is off or is it the granite base.

Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Send a piece of MDF that's as wide as the bed of the planer through until it cuts the whole surface. Glue the MDF to the bed in the same way you sent it through. Boom, bed and cutter are perfectly aligned.

That's what I did with my delta. Probably not the 'right' way, but took me a whole 5 minutes

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 05:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
did that dull the knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Send a piece of MDF that's as wide as the bed of the planer through until it cuts the whole surface. Glue the MDF to the bed in the same way you sent it through. Boom, bed and cutter are perfectly aligned.

That's what I did with my delta. Probably not the 'right' way, but took me a whole 5 minutes
I agree with the idea, I just don't think MDF is the correct material to run through a planer with all the glue and bonding agents which would dull the knives.

I would run some Maple or other hardwood through and measure the difference side to side. Half the difference is what needs to happen either on the cutter head or the table. The low side needs to come or vice versa. There must be some means of adjusting it....? If there is no apparent means to adjust it you now have a perfect new table surface. Just wax it and double sticky tape it in place.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Is it possible that the knives are just crooked?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
G.I.T.S.

Quote:

Thanks for the reply and the idea. I would have never thought pf that. You guys a geniuses. :)

Thanks again,

Gary
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
G.I.T.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I agree with the idea, I just don't think MDF is the correct material to run through a planer with all the glue and bonding agents which would dull the knives.

I would run some Maple or other hardwood through and measure the difference side to side. Half the difference is what needs to happen either on the cutter head or the table. The low side needs to come or vice versa. There must be some means of adjusting it....? If there is no apparent means to adjust it you now have a perfect new table surface. Just wax it and double sticky tape it in place.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see anyway to adjust it but I will take another look tomorrow.

Gary
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
G.I.T.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Is it possible that the knives are just crooked?
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I guess that could be, I don't know if you can put them in crooked. They are from the factory so I will have to take a look at that too.

Gary
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

I thought that too before I did it, but turns out it had no noticeable effect on the blades. Now, I wouldn't recommend running a full kitchen cabinets worth of MDF through one, but a 1x2' piece didn't kill mine. YMMV of course.

There probably is a way to actually adjust the lifting mechanism if needed, I know my way isn't the 'correct' way. On my planer though, correcting the problem would've involved disassembly of half the planer to get to the lifting screws and de-couple them to only move one side, then reassemble, test cut, rinse and repeat until the results are correct. Personally, that's too much work. Even if it did kill my knives, I'd rather flip them (double sided blades are fun), or just eat the $20 to save the 6 hours it'd take

I need cheaper hobby
post #9 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
G.I.T.S.

Good Morning,

I went out to take another look at the planer bed. Are the three screws I have circled for leveling?

Dumb question. On running a piece of MDF through the planer for leveling. Do I need to flip it over when I put it back in?

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Images

post #10 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBi View Post
Good Morning,

I went out to take another look at the planer bed. Are the three screws I have circled for leveling?

Dumb question. On running a piece of MDF through the planer for leveling. Do I need to flip it over when I put it back in?

Thanks,

Gary
Nope, put it back the exact same way it came out. This is important, if you absentmindedly flip it all you'll end up doing is magnifying the error

I need cheaper hobby
post #11 of 11 Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
G.I.T.S.

Quote:
Nope, put it back the exact same way it came out. This is important, if you absentmindedly flip it all you'll end up doing is magnifying the error
Thanks for the info. That is the way it came so nothing to put back together.

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode