Walnut Side Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 08-28-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

View Jophus14's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut Side Table

I decided to try my hand at building a side table for my next project. I attached a couple of renderings that I did showing the finished product. The sides, top and bottom will be mitered at 45 degrees with a spline cut in at the 6" mark and again at the 12" mark since the depth of the table is 18" (The splines are represented much darker than the walnut in both images). I was also thinking of cutting in a spline through the entire depth (18 inches) of the miter for extra stability? The splines will be hidden within the miter. Is this practical or will the two splines that I have be sufficient enough for this type of piece? Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by Jophus14; 08-28-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I just realized that this post may need to be moved in the Design & Plans thread. Sorry.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
That is just a rendering?

It looks like a photo---I look forward to seeing the work in progress---

If you wish, I can move this for your---Project showcase would be good if you will be building that--
Few look into the design forum---most members use 'todays posts' and don;t pay a lot of attention to what forum a thread is in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

They are indeed rendering. I'm just looking for some input prior to cutting up a bunch of walnut. This will be my biggest piece to date. I plan on taken pics as the build happens.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
That's a fantastic looking rendering... But I've got to ask... Why the splines instead of the biscuit method you mentioned?
post #6 of 16 Old 08-28-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for liking the rendering. I wasn't originally thinking to use biscuits, just glue and cross-grain miter splines. The cross-grain splines are more for decorative purposes opposed to strength...even though they will add strength to the glued up miter. In the attached image you will see the mitered splines in a solid red. The spline that I am thinking of adding is the one through the actually 45 degree cut. It's labeled SPLINE in the image. Would this be beneficial or a complete headache to get the notches cut and still maintain a nice 90 degree corner?
post #7 of 16 Old 08-29-2015, 12:08 AM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
I've never used that method (having never built a project like yours), but I can't see any problems with it.
I really hope you get the build underway as I'm looking forward to the finished product.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-29-2015, 12:19 AM

View therealaveragej's Photo Album My Photos
Dovetails?
post #9 of 16 Old 08-29-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Dovetails would look amazing, but not if I cut them. I don't own a dovetail jig and I only cut hand dovetails twice. The outcome wasn't too horrible, but this is a much bigger beast to take on. However, it might not be too bad if there were only 4-5 dovetails along the depth of the piece. The same goes for box joints. I think I'm going to stick to the mitered corners and pray that they align in the end.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 AM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Btw that's a cool looking design with the live edge drawer front. I have done long mitre joints before and used biscuits to reinforce them for a non heavy load situation. Using something like the festool domino to make floating tenons would be easy and much stronger although it isn't a cheap tool (I don't have one but wish I did).

For aligning during glue up, use tape along the whole length of the mitre...basically lay to 2 pieces flat butting the edges together and taping them. Then fold them...the tape helps keeping the joint aligned so you get a good clean mitre edge on the outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to was2ndlast For This Useful Post:
asevereid (08-29-2015)
post #11 of 16 Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks was2ndlast. Although I would like to own the Domino, my tool budget is about $800 short, hah. I have built several keepsake boxes and I use the tape method on those. It works well for aligning the miters.

Since I will have to join three 6" boards together to make up the 18" width, I think I will have to invest in a biscuit jointer. It seems as though it will make the build easier and offer a bit more stability opposed to just glue and splines.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You need to use a "blind" spline as it isn't that big. I would not want domino's. You will need enough clamps to draw all four sides together. I would have 12 clamps handy. Dovetails? Dovetail can be cool but these tables won't need them. The design is simple and straight forward. Dovetails would be too busy looking for such a small piece..

Remember....Less is more sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-30-2015)
post #13 of 16 Old 08-30-2015, 08:59 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophus14 View Post
Thank you for liking the rendering. I wasn't originally thinking to use biscuits, just glue and cross-grain miter splines. The cross-grain splines are more for decorative purposes opposed to strength...even though they will add strength to the glued up miter. In the attached image you will see the mitered splines in a solid red. The spline that I am thinking of adding is the one through the actually 45 degree cut. It's labeled SPLINE in the image. Would this be beneficial or a complete headache to get the notches cut and still maintain a nice 90 degree corner?

The blind spline is perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. It will add significant strength to the joint, as well as surface area for glue.

I used a blind spline to join the miter in this folded slab piece Name:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1440982653.765943.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  94.7 KB

I also inserted dovetailed "keys" in the outside of the miter, basically for aesthetics. They do add some strength to the joint as well, however.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 AM

Those are all good options and all will look good. If you want a dovetail lookalike but not actual dovetails, you make a jig that straddles the 90 degree corner. The jig could have a platform that a router can sit on and pass through the corner with a dovetail bit. Then you can make a spline in the shape of the dovetail bit and glue into the dovetail slot you have created. It's not dovetails but it will look good.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
The blind spline is perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. It will add significant strength to the joint, as well as surface area for glue.

I used a blind spline to join the miter in this folded slab piece Attachment 181569

I also inserted dovetailed "keys" in the outside of the miter, basically for aesthetics. They do add some strength to the joint as well, however.
Sorry I did not see this post when i posted. Dovetail "keys" are what I am referencing.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-01-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

BZawat- That is a beautiful piece and a pretty good example of the style of miter that I am trying to accomplish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jophus14 For This Useful Post:
BZawat (10-21-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode