I was curious about micro pinning the face. Your project was the inspiration for this actually! Unfortunately, finding a door that size is not exactly easy... Really don't want to deal with messing with the face nailing if I can avoid it. How noticeable are those tiny 23 gauge pins? Another option I've considered is doing solid boards screwed together as the substrate instead of plywood, but I'm concerned about the flexing in those solid boards. Or possible adding strip of angle steel the length of the table for added stability. That would make it quite a bit heavier though. Definitely looking into the resin glue. I'm not sure if I'll be able to screw it to the floor for a week, but I'll see what I can do...
Thanks for all the advice. I'll take any more I can get!
That's great to hear, we had a great time building that table, it's held up quite well, with no issues from using wood glue. We honed our skills working together as well, I had to let it be her project, and offer advice as it was asked for.
We found that door at the Habitat for Humanity resale store, they had a lot of them.
The ash pieces came from my deceased neighbors shop. He was quite the collector, he had boxes of those. I have no idea where they came from, or what they were for but I can tell you he probably paid almost nothing for them. No one bought them at the sale, and I had them on my trailer to haul to the burn pile. Couldn't stand it so I pulled them off and saved them, glad I did. We did find that there was a slight variance in the length. Didn't discover it until we were well into the pattern. Caused us to adjust a little to get things back on track. Then we started checking the length to make sure it was right.
The 23ga pins are tiny, I set them deep, then my Daughter filled all of the holes. I've looked but can't see any that are exposed. She eventually put a couple of coats of clear urethane on the table to protect it from all of the things that happen to a dining room table...