Wall mounted cabinet under a TV - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 02-22-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

View kyngfish's Photo Album My Photos
Wall mounted cabinet under a TV

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to carpentry. I've done some occasional stuff since I've always worked with my hands, but right now I don't have a garage and aside from the basic power tools, I'm just getting into this stuff. I have a problem I need to solve.

I mounted my TV on the wall to save space, but I need something to put under it in order to hide the cable box and other items. I don't want to stick a console table under it because what's the point of saving space with the TV if I'm just going to take it up with a huge piece of furniture.

I'd like to stick a long cabinet under the TV, no more than 12 inches deep and probably a similar height, and between 30 and 100 inches long, depending on what I decide looks good.

There are a few I can buy, but unless I want to drop close to 1000 dollars, it's all nasty particle board. I'd like to avoid spending 1000 on tools and another 200 on lumber, so I need to keep it simple.

I was considering just taking a few 1x12 boards, and joining them with screws or dowels, using some hinges so the front door opens downwards and calling it a day. Another option is to edge-join 2-3 smaller boards and create something that looks a bit more interesting. My question is, can I do this with a miter box, a planer, a doweling jig and some basic power tools? Or should I just stick to the 1x12s?

Has anyone seen or done a project like this I can learn from? I haven't found anything.

Thanks for the help,
Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-22-2016, 11:53 AM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
I'd use plywood. Iron-on veneer edging would hide the cuts. Anything but a good and expensive hardwood is going to bow and warp over time. You wouldn't need a planer, and you can get nearly perfect cuts from a circular saw with a guide. You could join the corners with pocket screws if it won't be carrying a lot of weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode