Wall insulation (ish) question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

View wolfgang953's Photo Album My Photos
Wall insulation (ish) question

This is probably a pointless question, but figured id ask anyway. Iv been surprised before.

So i had been planning on taking down the blue panel in the pic for a while. Its a panel on the wall in the bed room on the main floor. I wanted to take at least the two internal walls down to put insulation in them to help not only insulate the bedrooms, but to reduce the noise that you can hear from them. (Which you can hear coming out of the bedrooms easily.)

So i started to take a panel down today and before i got to far i realized that behind the panel looks to be drywall. So to do this would mean taking down all the trims. Taking down all the panels, then taking down all the drywall and hoping for no more surprised. - Also since im flat out broke form my basement project, i cant fix or replace anything if i screw up. So i decided against proceeding with doing this.

I even looked in the attic above the bedrooms but the attic area is covered with its own insulation and i didnt want to screw around with that. ( no clue if i could see anything from there anyway. Im guessing there is some kind of floor/roof to block off being able to see it.)

So.. i have to bedrooms next to each other. Planning on renting both out. But i also planned on the insulation to help reduce noise. With out that, noise will clearly be heard from one bedroom to another since they share a wall. (I can hear someone talking in the room from the kitchen, so im guessing the other room would be even more clear,)

Is there any logical, reasonable, and dare i say cheap, considering my circumstances, way of reducing sound from one room to the other. Im guessing most ppl dont really want to hear every sound coming out of a strangers bedroom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

ill also add that it looks like they had a normal room to begin with, and then added the panel walls for the looks and to cover up gaps of unfinished spots. And then added the square roof pieces an inch or two below the ceiling as well. - When i took a ceiling fan down in the other room with this roof, there was a few inches between the square roof in the picture and what looked like the drywall ceiling.

The carpet comes a tad bit up around the bottom of the panel wall. And the square roof pieces are in front on the panel at the top. So even if i wanted to, getting that panel down would likely end up being more of a task then i want to do right now. (i have no money left and a million more important things i need to get done first.)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The cheapest fix I can think of I'm sure you wouldn't like. To damper the noise cover the walls with carpet with a pad.

If the paneling isn't glued to the rock you could probably take it down without tearing it up. Then if you have one of those magnetic stud finders that can locate the fasteners you could take the rock down where it could be reused. It would certainly be labor intensive but be doable. The rock could be cut horizontal below the ceiling. You would just have to put some kind of wood behind the seam to tie it back together. Once the insulation and rock is installed I would tape and bed the wall even though you plan to put the paneling back. If the paneling tears up you could take it all down and paint the walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If the paneling isn't glued to the rock you could probably take it down without tearing it up. Then if you have one of those magnetic stud finders that can locate the fasteners you could take the rock down where it could be reused. It would certainly be labor intensive but be doable. The rock could be cut horizontal below the ceiling. You would just have to put some kind of wood behind the seam to tie it back together. Once the insulation and rock is installed I would tape and bed the wall even though you plan to put the paneling back. If the paneling tears up you could take it all down and paint the walls.

Yea, that was my first thought as well. As if that wasnt enough already; in addition to that, i think the ceiling would have to come down as well since its lower then the top of the panel and the drywall. All in all, its more work then i can do right now. I have way to much other stuff i have to finish first.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The cheapest fix I can think of I'm sure you wouldn't like. To damper the noise cover the walls with carpet with a pad.
out of curiosity, carpet or carpet pad? Im guessing the pad as it seems like it might absorb some of it.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang953 View Post
out of curiosity, carpet or carpet pad? Im guessing the pad as it seems like it might absorb some of it.
Actually both, it's what is recommended to make a cheap sound proof room. I suspect the padding does most of it.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang953 View Post
Yea, that was my first thought as well. As if that wasnt enough already; in addition to that, i think the ceiling would have to come down as well since its lower then the top of the panel and the drywall. All in all, its more work then i can do right now. I have way to much other stuff i have to finish first.
You might take a sawzall and cut the paneling and rock just below the ceiling to take it down. Then when you put it back put a small piece of trim or crown molding back to hide the cut. You would have to be careful to make the cut shallow to prevent cutting any electric wires. That much of an area it might be best to turn the power off to outlets in that room when making the cut.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
My first thought was to inject builders foam into the cavity. However, if there are cross pieces between the studs, could cause bulging.
So, you may have to take one side down and put in insulation and then replace one side panel. Me I would probably get insulating board and apply to both sides of the wall.
johnep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode