Wainscot Material - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

View WoodRic's Photo Album My Photos
Wainscot Material

Hi Again.

Just a quick question on wainscot material.
Since I'll be painting the wainscot white, will mdf work for this (will the edges hold a shape when routed?).
Seems a shame to use expensive wood if it's just going to be painted anyway.

Thanks!

-Ric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
MDF would be OK for that use and would hold an edge. As long as the edge doesn't taper off too thin, which would make it fragile.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use MDF for ANY project that I cared about. Especially one I would hope would look as good and last as long as wainscoat. If it ever gets a significant bump or gouged it will be the devil to repair. It is not forgiving of damage.

A couple of years ago I made wainscoating for my dining room. I do not remember just what wood I wound up using, clear pine, fir or whatever I found that was the best. The top chair rail was shaped and you could not do that with MDF. I also used quarter round and plywood. In all I used over 120 seperate pieces of wood.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I would not use MDF for ANY project that I cared about. Especially one I would hope would look as good and last as long as wainscoat. If it ever gets a significant bump or gouged it will be the devil to repair. It is not forgiving of damage.

A couple of years ago I made wainscoating for my dining room. I do not remember just what wood I wound up using, clear pine, fir or whatever I found that was the best. The top chair rail was shaped and you could not do that with MDF. I also used quarter round and plywood. In all I used over 120 seperate pieces of wood.

George

George, I'm sorry you feel that way. The last thing I would want is for you to think I would use shoddy materials. Being a composite you might think that MDF is pure junk. But in reality, IMO, it is the perfect material for painted mouldings and wainscoting, and I'll tell ya why.

*It's consistent in density with no voids.
*There is no knots.
*There is no grain.
*It's harder than pine or poplar which lessens its ability to be damaged.
*It's easy to repair as fill adheres well and can be touched up.
*There is no movement issues.
*It's consistent in thickness.
*It requires no surface prep in sheet form.
*It cuts and shapes easily and can accept most any profile.
*It glues well to other substrates and to itself.
*It's easier to store (versus lumber) when intended to be cut up for moulding.

For now those are a few reasons I use it. Care has to be taken in handling and fastening.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Hey don't you watch HGTV it's used for everyhing on there.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

The old purists will never accept anything besides wood.
Saying that, I have to admit to being an old purist. "If" I use MDF on this upcoming project, it will be a first for me.

HGTV . . . <cough>
They only care about how it looks when it's first completed. They DON'T care about how it's going to look 15 or 20 years from now.
I admit to having my doubts about it's ability to stand up to long term wear & tear.

It does have it's advantages over wood, and similarly, wood has areas where it excels. It's really a matter of weighing your requirements, and making a judgment call.

So far, I'm still surveying the options, which is why I asked this question to begin with. :)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinetman, I do not think you use shoddy materials. I certainly think that MDF has its place. It is great for speaker cabinets and I am sure has other uses as well.

I once used an MDF type of material for wainscotting in one of my kitchen renovations. I will never do that again. It was subject to damage and I do not know how to repair damage of those type of materials. In our last kitchen renovation I ripped all of that out and replaced it with solid wood. Well, not entirely solid as the field was plywood.

I really do not even like plywood. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. At times this gives me trouble. I also like oak. As most people know, when you build table and desk tops out of solid there is a very real risk of splitting over time. This is something that I have learned to work with.

Different people like different materials. I just have little use of what I think of as wood substitutes. If you are used to working with and like that type of material I am sure it is good for easy work and speed of work.

George

Last edited by GeorgeC; 07-30-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode