Vacuum for dust - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

View kentucky tom's Photo Album My Photos
Vacuum for dust

I have two 2" votex dust separators I desire to hook to a grizzly dust chip vacuum. The dust deputy like separators have a two inch opening on the units . I would like to connect the two 2" inlets to the grizzly intake vacuum. The grizzly has 6" openings . Connection should not be difficult. If the giz pulls 800 cfm, wonder what the loss of cfm would be with a "y" and attaching both deputies for the vacuum force.
My reasoning is that Dyson vacuums do a similar process with their vacuums if you look close at the inter workings. I could add add another making three, with the assumption a very little loss with the resulting 6" opening combined. Thoughts? Comments?
Kentucky Tom

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2018, 04:48 PM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
The loss will be substantial. You really need a super dust deputy and even then the loss will be a lot. The area of the end of a 3 pipe is 7 square inches. The circumference of four 3 pipes is 37.6 inches. The area of the end of a 6 pipe is 28.2 SI. The circumference of the 6 pipe is 18.8. Logic would state that since the sidewall contact in the smaller pipes is over double that the drag would be more.

Last edited by Sawdustmaker99; 02-01-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
In addition to that .....

Everything I have read discourages running more than one DC on a given system. That would include shop vac or vortex vac as well, I assume. The reasoning is that one will overpower the other and cause it to spin faster than the recommended RPMs. I don't think home vacuums are a good idea for dust collection in a wood shop. The quantity of dust or chips from machines will quickly overwhelm their small capacity.

Only experimentation will reveal whether or not it will work as I doubt if anyone has come up with the solution you propose and will have any solid results.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
One of us is on the wrong page. I understood his post to say he is using a single dust collector and wants to hook up two shop vac cycle separators in place of a single bigger one.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy I am the one that is confused ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker99 View Post
The loss will be substantial. You really need a super dust deputy and even then the loss will be a lot. The area of the end of a 3 pipe is 7 square inches. The circumference of four 3 pipes is 37.6 inches. The area of the end of a 6 pipe is 28.2 SI. The circumference of the 6 pipe is 18.8. Logic would state that since the sidewall contact in the smaller pipes is over double that the drag would be more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker99 View Post
One of us is on the wrong page. I understood his post to say he is using a single dust collector and wants to hook up two shop vac cycle separators in place of a single bigger one.
Sorry,
In addition to the title of the thread, the OP refers to vacuums by both Grizzly and Dyson and that threw me off track. I've never hear of "votex", and thought he had misspelled "vortex' and got thrown further off into the dust covered weeds. My advice is still sound, just not appropriate for this question.... you think?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View kentucky tom's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky tom View Post
I have two 2" votex dust separators I desire to hook to a grizzly dust chip vacuum. The dust deputy like separators have a two inch opening on the units . I would like to connect the two 2" inlets to the grizzly intake vacuum. The grizzly has 6" openings . Connection should not be difficult. If the giz pulls 800 cfm, wonder what the loss of cfm would be with a "y" and attaching both deputies for the vacuum force.
My reasoning is that Dyson vacuums do a similar process with their vacuums if you look close at the inter workings. I could add add another making three, with the assumption a very little loss with the resulting 6" opening combined. Thoughts? Comments?
Kentucky Tom

Thanks, the information is very helpful. I thought this might be the case. It was just a fleeting idea as I have a grizzly top/bottom bag chip dust collector with 5 micon bags, a 40 gal fiber drum and two Chinese knock off dust deputy juniors. Thinking that a combination of the vacuum flow from the grizzly though the dust deputy into the barrel would capture the particles less than 5 micon. A frankinstine notion at best. But , hey thinking all the options.
The concern is the chips fill up the bag and it's a chore to empty, may route the vacuum though the barrel to catch the bigger chips . That would then be easily dumped.
Thanks for the comments. Kentucky Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode