Used Biesemeyer or new Delta fence? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Used Biesemeyer or new Delta fence?

Thoughts? It looks like I can get a new 30" Delta for about $200. Found a used Biesemeyer with a 7' rail for $125. It's a bigger than what I need at the moment, but I can see building extensions for my saw that will make it usable.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 08:48 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Used Biesemeyer or new Delta fence?-006.jpg
Mine came with a 7' rail. I wouldn't want anything less. If you have the space to set it up go for it. I even welded an additional 2' to the railing on mine to put table extensions on the left side of the saw. I had a couple extensions off of a Craftsman saw I retired and put them on my Unisaw.
Ron_J likes this.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 06-27-2018 at 08:51 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
I made my own rails and bought the VerySuperCoolTools Fence this past winter. I made the rails as long as I could for my shop. I'd opt for the 7' rails if you think you can fit it in your shop. I can rip about 38" to the right of the blade. Sure makes dealing with sheet goods nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saw2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	363190  

Click image for larger version

Name:	saw4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	363192  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You can always cut it shorter if needed.
If the used fence isnít damaged itís a bargain.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Joel / Junior Member

View GreyhoundGuy's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought the Delta T3 from Lowe's. I'm installing it on my older Craftsman 113 model.

The "universal" Delta T3 doesn't line up with a single hole on my Craftsman (which I knew going into the the purchase), so I'm going to have to do all the drilling and setup myself. Not sure what saw you have, but it's something to be aware of.

The rails are good and strong. The fence is solid. Both pieces had some finish issues (minor chipping of finish, etc.). Nothing unsightly, and nothing enough that I would return the set... but again, something to be aware of.

The biggest thing that you should know is that the sides of the fence on the T3 are NOT completely flat /square when looking down the side. Instead, it's slightly concave. I set my combination square up to take a look down the fence, and both sides are slightly concave. For the types of cutting I do, most of which has the wood touching the base of the fence, I'll be fine. If I have anything that won't be touching the base of the fence, I'll clamp on a piece of hardwood and use that as my guide. As with the above, it's not huge concern, just something to be aware of. It's minuscule, but it's there.

For me, I'm a hobbyist (at best). I can make due with the Delta T3. I'm excited to install it and upgrade from the old Craftsman fence that was on there before. But if I were you, for $125, I'd go with the Biesemeyer.

-Joel

Save an Athlete! Adopt a Greyhound!!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Well, i got it. Give $100 for it. Nice guy and up front about it. It needs cleaned up and the formica on the back side of the fence is missing. The blade side is in good shape. I dont really have room for my saw with it on right now, but hope to this fall.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
For $100 I would have bought it myself. I have 3 Delta fences. 2 T2s and a T3. I like them and am satisfied with them. They are good. Clearly the Delta would be new and you could be assured of having a functioning fence right out of the box. That said, I expect the Biesemeyer is the better fence. I believe they are constructed the same. The difference being the 3 inch rail on the Beisemeyer vs the 2 inch rail on the Delta. If you do all you need to to clean it up and resurface and paint as needed along with any adjustments, the finished product will, in my view, edge the Delta. There is one difference that I am aware of. The rear of the Delta fences ride on a block of HDP that sits on a piece of angle iron bolted on the back of the saw. the Biesemeter, on the other hand, has a piece of HDP that sits on the cast iron table. A distinction without a difference? Hard to say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode