Unfinished Chairs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Unfinished Chairs

Hey Guys,

I'm going to start building a new kitchen table, mission style, all oak. I'm not sure I yet have the skills, or the patience for building chairs however. So I've been looking for unfinished chairs that I can stain to match, but all the chairs i'm finding are parawood, I'm building the table out of rift sawn red oak, and want the chairs to match. Where can I find chairs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You might just google unfinished oak chairs and see what happens. Without knowing where you live it wouldn't be possible to suggest a place.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I tried that.....most of them that still come up are parawood........anyone know anything about parawood? Does it stain to match easily? Good grain pattern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
You might also consider metal chairs like you see at Pier One or Pottery Barn. Those actually blend well with mission style furniture.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know much about parawood. I think I've only seen it a time or two. I went to google images and tried to refresh my memory of it and couldn't find a descent image of it. From what I did find out it appears parawood has a more mahogany appearance to the grain, just without the red. I think you could make an oak table match up with parawood but you would need to be selective of the wood and picked out wood that was especially straight grain. It would also be best if you could select boards that were sapwood rather than the reder core wood. It appears that parawood would be good to make a table out of if you could find a source for the lumber maybe that would be a better solution.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Parawood is a light colored wood. Doesn't look anything like Mahogany. It's also called Rubberwood. It has a grain almost a cross between ash and maple. It's used for production furniture as there is a good supply from plantation growth. It's dense and machines like Maple.

It will stain well, and it would take some experimenting to get it to look like Oak. But, it isn't Oak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode