undermount drawer slides - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

View Ronnie1a's Photo Album My Photos
undermount drawer slides

I am trying to build a 50" tall dresser. The plans call for wooden slides under the drawers and a plastic guilde that hooks on to the wood. I have seen what they call centermount metal slides on ball bearings that look to be superior but do not know how they work. How much space do they require between the back of the drawer and the back of the dresser? How high does the drawer have to be above the front cross piece below the drawers? For a wide drawer can I use two of them instead of one? Could not find any diagrams on the various sites that sell them. Hope this makes sense! The slides in the plans look like the picture in the previous entry.

Last edited by Ronnie1a; 12-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Mounting instructions usually come with the slides. There are many different types and they don't all require the same clearances. The better undermount slides, like Blum Blumotion will require some special consideration when building the drawers. Get the slides you want to use before building the drawers and follow the instructions. If you haven't used them before, making a mock up can save you a lot of headaches, even though it takes some time.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Have you considered side mount ball bearing slides?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

View Ronnie1a's Photo Album My Photos
I did consider side mount slides

but the gap between the side of dresser and side of the drawer is, I think, too large. I guess I could put in a piece of wood to close the gap. My thinking was the bottom slides would be easier to install. Perhaps I should rethink this?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie1a View Post
but the gap between the side of dresser and side of the drawer is, I think, too large. I guess I could put in a piece of wood to close the gap. My thinking was the bottom slides would be easier to install. Perhaps I should rethink this?
That's the way I would go, if at all possible. What is the opening, and what is the drawer box width?

post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I am in the process of building a buffet cabinet right now, and I used hettich IW 21 under mount slides for the drawers. Fronts are inset and there is no rail below the front, so it is very much the same application as an inset dresser drawer. Work great and easy to install, but so have some box size requirements, etc. I wanted under mounts because I didn't want to see slides when the drawer is open.

Definitely choose slides, then make boxes. If your drawers are already made you may be limited in slide options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode