Under-cabinet light - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

View ctwiggs1's Photo Album My Photos
Under-cabinet light

Hi all,

We have small fluorescent lights under our cabinets, and one of them randomly just fell. It looks like the screws finally lost their grip from the cabinet.

My question is -- how do i re-hang these? It looks like I put a screw into the plywood and the light has a keyhole that the screw slides into to hold it (like most hanging wall clocks I've seen). I am not sure what type of screw to use without accidentally poking through...

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/wh...-you-do-26791/ is a thread I started awhile back that has pics of the cabinets with the lights on.

I am half tempted to just use a beefy exterior screw and buy a Dremel to cut off the screw when it pokes through, then lay down one of those interior cabinets mats.

What do you think?

Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Install the screws used to mount the light strip, then cut, or break them flush on the back and either glue or screw in from the top, you may lower the light 1/2" but it would mount solidly.
Hth

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
try to determine the plywood thickness. then try several screw diameters until you find the diametter that has mechanical friction and grab in the existing holes. the screw type will be wood thread, round head. the length will be just less then the ply thickness (so not to poke though) plus the light case material thickness. try the screw in the light first, if it is too large, carefully open up the holes.

first, can you just move the light sideways or front or back, so that you can make a new purchase on the plywood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Here are a few pics.. I think this might help. I'm not fully understanding but I REALLY appreciate you guys taking the time to help out.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Many of those types of fixtures can open up where you can mount the part that goes against the plywood and then reassemble the unit. If not, use a sheet metal pan head screw. The head should be able to just fit through the hole.

Some of those fixtures have tapered thicknesses of the slot part, so when you slide it into the slot, the plastic gets thicker and the unit gets tighter. I use sheet metal type screws threaded all the way to the head, and are more consistent in diameter to the tip than wood screws or the cheapo screws that are usually included with the fixture.

Usually, screws hold best when inserted and not backed out or having the hole re-used a few times. If you can't move the fixture to get fresh plywood, insert a plastic anchor in the old hole. It may require sizing the hole slightly. A plastic anchor and a sheet metal screw will hold very well.

Another option would be to use double sided tape (the foam type), or a few tabs of hot glue. You may first need to wipe the mounting area with mineral spirits to get any grime or grease removed.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. Got these bad boys remounted and I think they are there to stay. The screws being used were 1/2 inch and when I measured it, only about 1/4-3/8 were going into the plywood.

I went to a wider screw and upped to 3/4" and they are in firm now.

Thanks again fellas!

Curtis
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
I'm glad you got it. Just my 2 cents but I always hang those types of lights (and power strips) with drywall screws. The heads fit right in the keyholes and they hold tightly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode