types of vises to use on a new workbench - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

View woodmeistro's Photo Album My Photos
types of vises to use on a new workbench

I am in the planning stage for building my first real workbench. Until now i have made do with my table saw top, folding tables and sawhorses, but I have some free oak and will use it for my top, and 2''x2'' steel tubing base. I have reveiwed my old woodworking magizines for designs and ideas. I know that I want a Veratis twin screw vise on one end with round dog holes running the length of the 2 1/2'' thick top but cannot decide on the other vice for the other end, I have never used a proper bench so I don't have anything to compare vices with, I do want it to be able to work in conjuction with dog holes along the side of the top. I will be building storage drawers underneith. It will have leveling feet on the bottom because no floor is ever flat and it will also double as an outfeed table for the table saw. I think a 30''x 72'' top will be a good size. What would be the best finish for a red oak top. I would like to have some sort of retractable wheels so that it can be moved around if needed, does anyone have some ideas they can share. I welcome all input, this will be my first workbench and I would like to get it right the first time around.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM

View donnykooy's Photo Album My Photos
A tail vise or wagon vise can be used in conjuntion with the dog holes. Tail vises are more versitile in the clamping methods but sometimes begin to sag or get out of alighnment with the bench. Wagon style vises are stronger but can not clamp thick boards vertically like the tail vise. If you are going to use either of these vises you will probaly want a 20 inch overhang on this end of the bench.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode