Type of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

View sabre500's Photo Album My Photos
Type of wood

Hello Everyone, i bought an acre of land which had a few old wood posts on, i cut on up, can someone help me in identifying what wood it is. Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC300001.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	85789  

Name:	PC300003.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	85790  

Name:	PC300004.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	85791  

Name:	PC300005.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	85792  

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 PM

View Acercanto's Photo Album My Photos
I'm pretty sure that's Black Locust. It's commonly used for fence posts because it's hard and rot resistant. It's good wood.

Acer
post #3 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acercanto View Post
I'm pretty sure that's Black Locust. It's commonly used for fence posts because it's hard and rot resistant. It's good wood.

Acer

+1

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Acer, i have looked all over the internet trying to identify it. Yes it is hard wood and seems easy to work with. There must be something i can make out of it.

Chris
post #5 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
I made my work bench out of it. Very heavy indeed.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
The Following User Says Thank You to Paarker For This Useful Post:
sabre500 (12-31-2013)
post #6 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 PM

View TheWoodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Yep,probably locust. Osage orange is also commonly found in fence rows and as fence posts though the wood is a brighter yellow. They are two of the best for long term use as posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Cedar Box Maker

View DerlC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodsman View Post
Yep,probably locust. Osage orange is also commonly found in fence rows and as fence posts though the wood is a brighter yellow. They are two of the best for long term use as posts.
Yep, I agree with TheWoodsman, Osage orange is also known in Texas as Bois d'arc. Since you (sabre500) and I are from Texas most of our wooden fence post are Mesquite, Oak, Cedar or Bois d'arc. What I see in your pictures looks like Osage Orange (Bois d'arc).

I've got a question for TheWoodsman or anyone else that wants to chime in; Does Black Locust, up north, grow with thorns on it? It does in Texas. When you find one, here in Texas, it has wicked looking thorns on it some of them may be up to 4 inches long. I'd hate to have to cut one down with a chain saw! ! ! Ouch ! !

Derl

In every old broken down body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 AM

View TheWoodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerlC View Post
Yep, I agree with TheWoodsman, Osage orange is also known in Texas as Bois d'arc. Since you (sabre500) and I are from Texas most of our wooden fence post are Mesquite, Oak, Cedar or Bois d'arc. What I see in your pictures looks like Osage Orange (Bois d'arc).

I've got a question for TheWoodsman or anyone else that wants to chime in; Does Black Locust, up north, grow with thorns on it? It does in Texas. When you find one, here in Texas, it has wicked looking thorns on it some of them may be up to 4 inches long. I'd hate to have to cut one down with a chain saw! ! ! Ouch ! !
Honey Locust has the big thorns on the trunk. Black Locust has the little spines/thorns/"prickles" which are at the base of the leaf. According to the wikipedia maps, it really doesn't show black locust in Texas but it shows honey locust all over east Texas. This makes me wonder if you aren't talking about honey locust.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust

Last edited by TheWoodsman; 01-01-2014 at 12:22 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 AM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerlC View Post
As Woodsman pointed out, it is honey locust with the large thorns. I've been fighting with friends for years trying to convince them that it is not black locust with the large thorns.

BTW: I thought in Texas everything was bigger - only 4 inch long thorns - I laugh at your thorns. I've got timber filled with lots of honey locust and on mature trees it is not uncommon to have 12"+ thorns.

I also cut lots of it for firewood - been doing so for 30 years. You don't start with a chainsaw, you start with a machete to trim enough thorns off so you can get close with a saw. After it's dropped, same sequence - walk up and down the trunk with a machete trimming thorns and then chain saw.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #10 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Cedar Box Maker

Quote:
Honey Locust has the big thorns on the trunk. Black Locust has the little spines/thorns/"prickles" which are at the base of the leaf. According to the wikipedia maps, it really doesn't show black locust in Texas but it shows honey locust all over east Texas. This makes me wonder if you aren't talking about honey locust.
OH, Ok, I had my Locust's mixed up.I might have done that once before in my life.Oops!!
Thanks TheWoodsman for straighten me out. I have seen a few black locust in east Texas but not many. However I have seen quite a few Honey Locust in east Texas.
Sorry for the mixup.

Derl

In every old broken down body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!
post #11 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Cedar Box Maker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
As Woodsman pointed out, it is honey locust with the large thorns. I've been fighting with friends for years trying to convince them that it is not black locust with the large thorns.

BTW: I thought in Texas everything was bigger - only 4 inch long thorns - I laugh at your thorns. I've got timber filled with lots of honey locust and on mature trees it is not uncommon to have 12"+ thorns.

I also cut lots of it for firewood - been doing so for 30 years. You don't start with a chainsaw, you start with a machete to trim enough thorns off so you can get close with a saw. After it's dropped, same sequence - walk up and down the trunk with a machete trimming thorns and then chain saw.
OK, I think I've got it right now. Honey Locust with large thorns and Black Locust with small thorns.
You are right. Everything is BIGGER in Texas. Well anything that matters, that is.Thorns Don't Matter! !

"You don't start with a chainsaw, you start with a machete" End Quote: Yep, that's how I would start too.

Derl

The Following User Says Thank You to DerlC For This Useful Post:
trc65 (01-01-2014)
post #12 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I dont think you can identify based solely on thorns. Not all honey locust has thorns. Im not familiar with black locust at all so I cant speak to that but Ive dealt with quite a bit of honey locust. Ive yet to deal with one that has any thorns at all allthough I know some do.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM

View Acercanto's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, same here. I've never worked on a Honey Locust that had Thorns. The leaves and bark are also different. Black has very thick sort of corky bark, while Honey has thin curly, very hard bark (curly like birch bark, but very hard). Both locust leaves are compound, but Black leaflets are much larger and rounder, about quarter size a lot of the time. Honey leftlets are usually very small (1/2" or so long) and are much more elongated.

Hope that helps,
Acer
post #14 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
You guys are right, not all honey locust has thorns. There are quite a few varieties that are used as ornamental/urban trees and none of them have thorns. I'd guess there are some regional differences in them as well - at least in "wild" populations. Around here in timber situations they all have thorns. When I lived in Wisconsin, it was rare to see them with thorns.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #15 of 16 Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for all your input,yoy guys have a great website going and glad i found it.
Photo shows what the posts look like, having a fun time cutting them up.Second photo shows a piece i used on side of box to see how it would come up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	85860  

Attached Images

Chris
post #16 of 16 Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Cedar Box Maker

Quote:
Hey Guys, let's not "go out on a limb" here talking about other types of Locust. The ones that TheWoodsman listed in the links above are the only ones we were talking about.

Derl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode