Tv stand doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

View Chireaux's Photo Album My Photos
Tv stand doors

Hello guys, I need help designing the doors on the front of a tv stand. I will try and attach of a google sketch up that I did, although it's not the exact measurements of the doors.
I am building it completely out of Cyprus.
I am most concerned with the side doors. Right now they are 8 in wide by 33 tall.
I'm wondering if this is too narrow.
The other option would be removing the facing (which is 2" wide all around)
w

Name:  image-2712459971.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  24.4 KB

hich would make the doors significantly wider.
So my question is what would look better aesthetically. Facing or no facing ( with wider doors)?? Is there a correct way to do this or is it just personal preference??

By the way, the other doors are 11.5 * 23 in tall.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Personal preference but, with an inset door, wide stiles and rails along with wide fraceframes can move enough to jam the door. From the sketch, it looks like too much wood to me, too heavy, has an amateur look.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions?

Are you saying don't use the face frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
First thing I would do is sit in your TV chair and measure from the floor to your eyes. For more comfortable viewing, you may want the bottom of the screen about the same height as your eyes.

In the sketch, you show the rails running over the stiles, normally the rails go between the stiles. All the grain is shown running horizontal, should be running with the length of the pieces. You have a wide apron under the top and under the center opening, then you show a fairly wide door rail, looks a bit clunky. Whether you use a faceframe or not, I'd go around 1 1/4" wide on the door frame. Faceframe or not, I'd go narrower to eliminate so much wood between the doors.

I think I'd do something to break up the piece a little, like a larger base, one that was mitered around the cabinet, rather than flush. Shadows often help the presence of a piece. I'm not so sure I'd use inset doors. I might even set the center section back a bit so the front isn't so flat looking.

I just think you could look at the design with a more critical eye, you can do better. It's not easy to get a feel for the piece with a sketch up drawing, particularly with weird grain and lines extending. You may want a flat look or disagree with what I've said but their seems to be a lack of balance and symmetry to my eye. Work on it a little harder, don't settle for easy and ordinary.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
First thing I would do is sit in your TV chair and measure from the floor to your eyes. For more comfortable viewing, you may want the bottom of the screen about the same height as your eyes. im building it for my father in law and he gave me the height and width that he wants it at. Its actually shorter than it apears on the sketch up. Also, just to let you know, the 2 doors on the side are for speakers (that is what the mesh is supposed to be on the sketch up.

In the sketch, you show the rails running over the stiles, normally the rails go between the stiles. Didnt know that, thanks

All the grain is shown running horizontal, should be running with the length of the pieces. knew this, just a bad sketch up
You have a wide apron under the top and under the center opening, then you show a fairly wide door rail, looks a bit clunky. Whether you use a faceframe or not, I'd go around 1 1/4" wide on the door frame. Faceframe or not, I'd go narrower to eliminate so much wood between the doors. On my plans, everything was 2 inches (doors and frames). The frame is alredy made and pocket screwed together but I can go back and reduce it to 1 1/4. Or I could make the doors 1 1/4 and leave the frame at 2". what do you think??

Also the opening for the side doors is only 8 inches (with the 2 inch frame). Im wondering if this would look silly being so narrow...

I think I'd do something to break up the piece a little, like a larger base, one that was mitered around the cabinet, rather than flush. Im actually putting round furniture type legs on the bottom.

Shadows often help the presence of a piece. I'm not so sure I'd use inset doors. I might even set the center section back a bit so the front isn't so flat looking. will keep this in mind

I just think you could look at the design with a more critical eye, you can do better. It's not easy to get a feel for the piece with a sketch up drawing, particularly with weird grain and lines extending. You may want a flat look or disagree with what I've said but their seems to be a lack of balance and symmetry to my eye. Work on it a little harder, don't settle for easy and ordinary.
great advice, thanks a lot

Last edited by Chireaux; 12-05-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode