Happy to see someone else wanting to restore good old iron.
The search results link is not working for me. In case the Dave is me, and the results did not include my recent thread "Latest rust bucket planes", providing the link.
The Sargent looks bad, but turned out to be complete, jappaning in terrific shape, only the knob and tote needed to be replaced. I am happy with the end results.
The Stanley No 5 sounds like yours. The jappaning flaked off. I ended up needing to remove back to bare metal. I had a friend who was able to sand blast for me. If you do not have the ability to sand blast, then use electrolysis which will remove the jappaning AND rust.
I updated the thread the other day after painting the casting and back of the frog.
I have sanded the knob and tote and presently applying the finish. I will update with pictures later.
I still have to find replacement Y lever. I bought a no-name parts plane, but was surprised to find the parts are different.
EricD has a very useful post on using oxalic acid aka Wood bleach, instead of Evapo-Rust. Much less expensive and does a good job.
Dominick has a good thread on using electrolysis. Within the thread is a useful video.
Another plane restore thread which includes a link to Timetestedtools (Don) blog on hand plane restoration. Well worth reading.
here is my complete restoration blog. http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com...re-the-dw-way/