Woodworking Talk banner

TS blades

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dbhost 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been hashed to death, but what blades do you folks use in your table saws?

I'm getting back into woodworking, and I just bought my second Freud LU84M011 -- it's a 50T combo blade, ATBR. I've always liked my other one (need two to rotate one out, right?) but this new one has these funny s-shaped cuts connecting holes in the blade body, I guess to reduce vibration. I don't think my other one has them.

Supposedly Freud is also using some new, more flexible way of brazing the teeth to the body...never had a problem before, but I guess that's good.

Nice big carbide teeth on this blade. Freud makes nice blades. I got mine in the amazon for $50 delivered free. No financial connection to me, I just like Freud blades and had to gloat.

Looking forward to seeing how it cuts.

Anybody else use this blade? What combo blades do you all use?

Jeff

#2 ·
I like their Diablo blades, but that may be because I don't know any better. I use the thin curf blades in my 7-1/4" circular saw, a 12" miter blade in my sliding miter saw (teeth are tilted back to reduce splintering), and a 10" combo blade in my table saw. I don't know the model numbers, just whatever is on the store shelf.

#3 ·
blades

Hi Jeff,

In my 14 years in the business, I have gone through 3 of freud's 80 tooth ATB crosscut blades. It's a good blade. I have one of their 40 tooth combo blades that's ok. It was only $35 at a distributor's so I tried it. Too much vibration for precision cutting, but ok for rough. I've gone through a couple of Matsu****a' 60 tooth(or maybe it was 40?) thin kerf ripping blades. They ripped like the devil, but again, too much vibration for precision cutting. I now have an Orion combo blade, full 1/8" kerf, and it does a very good job at precision ripping. I also use a Matsu****a 7 1/4" thin kerf, 40 tooth, for rough ripping. It's great for stock under 2" thick.

#5 · (Edited)
You had to ask... :laughing:

- Freud LU84R011 (my first decent blade)
- Freud LU86R010
- Freud LU88R010
- Freud LU82M010
- Forrest WWII 40T TK
- Forrest WWII 30T TK (has the widest range for glue ready cuts of any single blade I've used)
- Ridge Carbide TS2000 40T TK
- Tenryu Gold Medal 40T
- Tenryu RS25550 50T
- Tenryu RS25540 40T
- Infinity Combomax Lite 50T TK
- Infinity 010-044 "new" Super General
- Oshlun 40T
- DeWalt DW7150PT
- DeWalt DW7657 40T
- Porter Cable Razor 50T
- Leitz 40T TK
- Leitz/Irwin 50T TK
- Delta 36T Sidekick
- Vermont American 36T
(There's a Freud-made Craftsman 60T and an Infinity 010-040 40T "original" Super General on the way to try next :smile:)

How I rated them

Blockhead - The Diablo line is one of Freud's entry level lines....good value. If you like those, chances are excellent that you'll like their Industrial line better....they're made to slightly higher standards. Sale prices at places like Amazon often put a blade of similar geometry at about the same price as the regular big box prices on the Diablo line. Ie: Instead of getting the Diablo D1050X for ~ $30-$35 plus tax, you can often get the LU83R010 for ~ $36 shipped....regular price is ~ $40-$45, but 10%-20% off sales happen often enough.

#8 ·
I`m with Skymaster, Amana is a very good blade. I bought a Systamatic rip blade once... way too much vibration! I even called the co. to complain...It seems the co. mainly designs blades for metal cutting!!! Anyway... I have about 30 different blades. I look for beafy carbide that will take a few sharpenings. I like the tripple chip 60 tooth for the chop saw...that is, my 10" Makita (sportster)...It`s small compaired to my 15" Hatachi... I use a Freud on it and have 3 100 tooth blades. Nice to have a sharp trim blade at all times. Rick

#9 ·
Depends on the work being done.

Freud Diablo thin kerf 60 tooth in my miter saw.
Irwin ATB 40 tooth in my Circular Saw.
Irwin Marathon Thin Kerf Ripping 24 tooth, and Finish 80 tooth blades for my table saw.

The cleanest cuts I get are with the Irwin 80 tooth, but that clean cut comes at the price of slower cuts, and lots of fine dust created. I guess it is just part of the beast. No splintering though. The O.E. blades simply stank... The best blade of any saw I got O.E. was the one on my Firestorm miter saw... It required I finish the cut really slow to avoid splintering though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.