Trying to install Blum Tandem soft-close glides. Please help. (Inset cabinets) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

View Mholtz2323's Photo Album My Photos
Trying to install Blum Tandem soft-close glides. Please help. (Inset cabinets)

Hi
I am a Do-it-yourselfer who is trying to install Blum Tandem soft-close drawer glides in an inset cabinet.
The cabinet has a door on the bottom and drawer on top.
The drawer front is 3/4" slab.
The drawer box is 5/8" thick.
The drawer glides are 562H.

The drawer box already has the holes in the back for the glides to slide into.

I was given the drawer glides with metal brackets. I was also given a Blum inset bracket for an inset drawer installation. It's a brown plastic piece that mounts at both the right and left sides onto the face frame.

This being my first try at this, I am unsure where the bracket should be placed. At the absolute bottom of the drawer opening?

In Blum's instructions, it recommends using the "platemate" to drill the holes. Do I need this?
Should I still use the metal brackets as it seems those are for overlay drawers?
I did receive a jig that shows exactly where to mount the brackets, but don't know if this is for inset applications.
I know, I'm all over the place. But I was hoping someone here could give me some help in order to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 AM

View Westend's Photo Album My Photos
Mike, it sounds like your cabinet has a face frame? Forget the metal brackets, build out the inside of the cabinet with some kind of packing material so it's flush with the inside edge of the frame. Now set the runner in from the front of the frame the thickness of the drawer front plus 4mm or about 3/16". Also make sure the bottom of the runner is flush with the top edge of your middle rail. Now screw the runner into your packing. If you have any more question don't hesitate to ask. I have put in several hundred of this type of runner.
Good luck
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

View Mholtz2323's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Westend for the quick response.
Yes, our cabinets have a face frame. They are traditional inset cabinets.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I should put some plywood against the inside edge of the cabinet in order to make it flush. Have this go all the way to the back of the cabinet?
Screw the drawer glides into the plywood setting the glides back 3/16" and also another 3/4" for the drawer front.

I do remember the cabinet company telling me that they used to do it this way, but now decided to use the Blum plastic inset brackets.
Or does your description involve using the inset brackets as well?

Thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Here's a video that will walk you through the process. If you don't get sound right off, stop the video and restart.

http://www.drawerslides.com/help/vid...rame-cabinetry

post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
One thing to add with these drawer guides be sure to keep them very clean. The least little dirt will screw them up. I've only used them once and I was not on the jobsite when the granite people installed the counters. After they got done with cutting the holes for the sink and drop-in range I had to remove all of the drawer guides and wash them out and re-oil them before they would work again. One of them that was that was directly below the cooktop I had to replace. If I ever use them again I will remove all of the drawer guides before the counter people get there.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM

View Westend's Photo Album My Photos
Mike, yes on the plywood build out being flush, no it does not need to be the full depth of the cabinet just as long as your runners. But it really doesn't matter. I do not use the inset brackets from Blum . Also make sure you use the inset locking devices that have depth adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode