Trying to get distressed whitewash look. Need help! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sbuell20
  • 1 Post By Toolman50

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

View sbuell20's Photo Album My Photos
Trying to get distressed whitewash look. Need help!

Hi guys and gals!
I have been working on a project for far longer than I expected and have not been able to nail the look I am shooting for and thought I would see if any of you had I ideas for things to try. I have tried 5 different colors of stains, vinegar/steel wool mix, along with with a light grey paint but have been unsuccessful in getting the look as seen in the photo below. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM

View nxtgeneration's Photo Album My Photos
You could try the Weather Wash line of products. I believe they are just different modifications of the vinegar/steel wool mix but may be a little more consistent.

Timber & Ash Designs, LLC
--> TimberAndAshDesigns.com <--
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtgeneration View Post
You could try the Weather Wash line of products. I believe they are just different modifications of the vinegar/steel wool mix but may be a little more consistent.
Thank you for the suggestion, taking a look at their line.
nxtgeneration likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2018, 04:31 PM

View NVwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
What species are you working with?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The picture shows weathered wood, sometimes called barn wood.
There seems to be no sheen at all. Very flat finish.
Pick the color close but still darker than the picture then dilute it by about 60%. The stain will mostly be sucked up by the wood and not build on the face of the boards. When doing it this way you are more in control of the color because your applying it at a 40% rate. If you want it darker you can give it another coat or add color to your diluted mix.
I donít see much distressing on the wood in the picture. Sometimes a wire brush wheel is used with the grain to pronounce the grain more. I donít see that. Only the natural knots in the lumber.
sbuell20 likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVwoodworker View Post
What species are you working with?
Working with spruce/pine, also was looking into other materials. Funny thing is I found a guy two hours from me with doug fir removed from a 100 year barn, with roughly the identical look. I hopped in the car and went for a drive, ripped it down, now need to plane and install. I still would not mind figuring this out for future projects. Looks like a good suggestion below.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
The picture shows weathered wood, sometimes called barn wood.
There seems to be no sheen at all. Very flat finish.
Pick the color close but still darker than the picture then dilute it by about 60%. The stain will mostly be sucked up by the wood and not build on the face of the boards. When doing it this way you are more in control of the color because your applying it at a 40% rate. If you want it darker you can give it another coat or add color to your diluted mix.
I donít see much distressing on the wood in the picture. Sometimes a wire brush wheel is used with the grain to pronounce the grain more. I donít see that. Only the natural knots in the lumber.
Thank you! I have done just this, I got a style that matched very close, the hard part is using the brillo pad/wire brush to get the colors to pop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode