Trying to find a hobbie - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

View User3489's Photo Album My Photos
Trying to find a hobbie

Hi Guys: I had to take retirment for med. reasons 5 yrs. ago. I went into wood work and fell in love with it. Last april I had a bad accident and it left me with a lot of dissabilities. I use a wheel chair and cannot turn my head more than 10 degrees either direction.

My problem is I have a shop in my basement with all new tools That I cannot use.
For my sanity I need to do somthing with wood. One tool I do not have is a Lath for wood turning. I know nothing about turning wood but would sure like to try.
You guys that are into turning,is turning somthing that I could do or not. My arms and hands work fairly good. My Son lives close,so I would have some help if I need it.
I want to try it,but I don't want another expensive tool just gathering dust.
Any opinions? tom-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
kendall

View supershingler's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to supershingler
sorry to hear about your accident

do you own a scroll saw?

ive seen some pretty nice stuff made with one of these and it sounds like you have some time to get things done.

just my thoughts

good luck

kendall
post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 AM

View CivilEngineer13's Photo Album My Photos
The thing that came to my mind while reading is to get a lathe. I believe it is Oneway that makes a lathe that allows the user to sit (although I think any lathe at the right height and the right stand would work). Woodturning will suck you in! No doubt! I would look online for a local woodtuning club and go check it out. That way you will know if its for you or not.

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Novice

View mdeiley's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear of your accident as well. My first thought also was turning but then I thought about hand carving. I knew a gentleman who retired hand carves fish, birds and anything else he can think of.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM

View BobbyfromHouston's Photo Album My Photos
Tom,
Welcome to the forum. We have alot in common it seems. I have been woodworking for many years, however, I was affected with degenerative disc disease at 34. My neck is fused from C2-C7 front and back so I have about 5 to 10 degrees of movement also. I suggest what others have: lathe, scroll saw, and anything else you want to build! I don't like my scroll saw that much. It hurts to luck down so much. You might find the same to be true. I would suggest taking breaks frequently and pacing yourself. I strongly suggest this: If you want to build things out of plywood, have the store cut it down to size for you. They usually charge a small fee for this, however, I have never been charged. They are more than happy to cut and load anything I need. There are good people out there who have good hearts. When you get your pieces put together call a neighbor for help with the move.
Bobby
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Me three

I am sorry to hear about your accident.

I agree with the others, a small lathe for pen turning to start as they can be mounted on a platform that matches your chair so you will have as much comfort as possible.
Also wood carving is a great way to get things done in more detail. They also don't require power tools if you are working on small projects, although a good power rotary tool with a flex line works great on roughing the "meat" of the work out of the way.

Keep the Faith.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Woodturning will work for.

Many years ago I had taught woodturning in addition to woodworking. Many people would fly in from all over. One time a young man showed up, to my surprise, with crutches. He had polio when he was very young and it seriously disabled him. Within an hour, we had come up with a position for him with his crutches and he was able to stand all day. At the end of his 3 day class, he was as good a bowl turner as anyone else.
Bowl turning is highly addictive. Concentrating on concentric circles spinning at high speed is quite mesmerizing.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Either buy a lathe or trade a piece of your equipment for one and you will have a ball making pens.They are simple to make and you can still have fun at woodworking.

Donny
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
It might be worth looking into a variety of possible hobbies.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/lei...uiz/index.html
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
Tom & Bobby
I don't know about others but my Dewalt scroll saw stand has the ability to be setup with the back raised higher than the front which lessenes the degree to which you have to look down at the pieces being cut. I haven't made the adjustment to mine yet but am going to soon. I have seen alot of them set up this way and it looks more comftorable to use than on a flat table.
David
post #11 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM

View BobbyfromHouston's Photo Album My Photos
Dr. Collins,
I agree completely with you about adjusting the platform for the scroll saw. I also think making it adjustable so that it can be in different positions would also be helpful. I will be honest with you. I enjoy watching my five year old work on the scroll saw and supporting him. Yes my five year old uses the scroll saw quite well. I am so proud of him. Makes me very proud to see him wearing his eye and ear protection and cutting out a likeness of the state of Texas on a piece of plywood.

Tom- I overlooked the fact that you are in a wheelchair. You can buy a wheelchair that can raise and lower you and provide alot of support. You should look into it. You may benefit.
Bobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode