Trouble setting jointer knives - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

View the dude's Photo Album My Photos
Trouble setting jointer knives

Hey guys, new member here. Did an introduction yesterday so this is my first real thread on a topic. I have an early 80's 6inch grizzly jointer. Picked it up for 100$ zero rust in very good shape. Been using it for awhile and has worked great. Knives were getting dull and one bearing was just starting to make a little noise. So changed the bearings put on a link belt and ordered new knives and a jointer pal. I brought both tables up to where a straight edge over both was just barely getting dragged by the knives. And marked tdc. Now I set my new knives as per the jointer pal instructions and now I keep getting some pretty bad snipe the last inch or so when I run a board on edge. From what I read through searches that tells me the out feed table is low. So I raise it till it stops sniping but then it gives my a slightly convex edge. I don't get it. Could the problem be that I just didn't find top dead center? Cause if I did and set knives to that height I can't see how I would have to raise outfeed table so much any pointers would be helpful. I did a search and didn't really find a answer.

pit bulls rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Also want add that I don't really think the knives are raising when I tighten them,the jig holds pretty tight to the table and I put 4x4 square chunk or steel I have on the jig it it weighs about 4 pounds.

pit bulls rock!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Location: Full time in house on wheels Missouri/Texas and in between
View J R in MO's Photo Album My Photos
Re-set knives pictures and tutorail by "Woodnthings"
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/r...-knives-34881/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You may have raised the rear table slightly too much or the tables may not be in line with each other. Raise the front table level with the rear table and put a straight edge over both tables and see if they are straight with each other. Sometimes the tables get damaged and you have to shim them to level them again.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
I use this method. Unplug the machine. Place the blade from a combination square on the outfeed table with the number 8 even with the edge of the opening. Move the cutterhead and adjust the knife height until it moves the combo blade 1/16". Check all knives on both ends and in the center. Do a practice cut, looking to see that the stock comes out flat to the outfeed table. Make any minor adjustments by raising the outfeed table. You want the top of the knives just a half of a cat's whisker above the outfeed table. This very very small adjustment is critical. Don't try to take skim cuts less than 1/32" or the stock may ride up and the knives won't take a complete bite.

It's important that you operate the jointer correctly. Once the stock is about 1/3 the way on to the outfeed table, take a baby step ahead and put all the pressure on the outfeed table, nothing on the infeed table. If you have it right, two edges jointed should fit tighter than a girdle on a fat ladies butt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setting jointer knives test2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	60020  

Attached Images

Last edited by Hammer1; 01-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM

View Scomel Basses's Photo Album My Photos
I had a very hard time properly setting up my jointer knives. The only solution I found was buying an 8" jointer with a spiral cutter head
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys! I did check the tables for coplanar with a straight edge and also with two framing squares and the check out. I just spent the last half hour resetting them and I think I may have figured out what was happening. Turns out the knives were lifting a bit because of the position of my wrench. On a few of the bolts the wrench would end up getting in between the bolt and the bottom of the slot in the cutter head and act like a cam and lift the bar. So having figured that out I went back and reset being careful to avoid this, and now when I check with the rule from my combo square it's dragging it equal on all knives. Just jointed a couple pieces of rough cherry and the faces lay flat to each other and edges are tight. Proper set up and new knives make a world of difference I thought it worked good before! This forum is great , thanks for the help guys I was starting to get a bit frustrated

pit bulls rock!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode