Trestle table - Positioning of legs to prevent sag? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 2 Old 09-09-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Trestle table - Positioning of legs to prevent sag?

It's been a long-standing question of mine, but it was brought to the forefront by this thread. Very nice table indeed!

I have a trestle table built by my father 30 years ago. Made of pine, 8' long. I don't have exact measurements, but the legs are about 2 feet in from ends, and there is an extra 1/2 leg that goes up from the middle of the stretcher to further support the top. This table is still straight, and in fact, that 1/2 leg is not really doing much support.

Is there an equation to determine best location for legs to support the top? I was thinking it might be something like at 1/4 and 3/4 length of top. Logic being that each leg supports exactly their 1/2 of the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a link to SAGULATOR, Woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
Just look up the type of wood, the thickness, etc and it will tell you how much sag you will get at a given distance and take it from there. The sagulator is actually meant for shelves but I don't see why it wouldnt work for a twin trestle table.

There are also broad 'rules of thumb' (like to 1/4. 3/4 ratio stuff) that can be found on the web for glass tops, wood tops etc. Those usually are for concerns over stability.like in tipping over. Your question specifically addressed sag, so give the sagulator a try first.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 09-09-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode