Woodworking Talk banner

Tree branch - dried and ready to use?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JoshuaHoffman 
#1 ·
Hi all, newbie to the site and to woodworking in general.
I wish to make a chair that has natural branches as the frame and was wondering if anyone knows how I may go about obtaining some. They would need to be dried rather than green. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers in advance. :)

Marc

#4 ·
maple saplings?

hello, I just saw your post, If you havent found any yet, I have some dried maple saplings that I use for my rustic furniture, but I am in the US, and shipping may be a killer, shoot me an email if you like]maplehillfrm@yahoo.com
would need to know what sizes you are looking for, lenght and dimensions, I also have some poplar saplins that are lighter,, but not sure if they are chair material, good luck,pat:yes:

#5 ·
For those of us living in North America it is pretty straight forward. Take your axe, and head into the woods, as suggested. But, I think in the UK you are likely a lot more restricted, as there isn't quite the vast forests that there once was.[Thank the old royal navy in the days of sailing ships]. However, I would suggest you contact some professional arborists to see what they are doing with all their pruned tree branches. They are likely a disposal problem for them, and they might be quite happy to donate some to your cause.

Gerry

#6 ·
Best branches are those cut and dried between November and March when the sap is out of the tree, or at least down near the roots.. Bark will remain permanently adhered if kiln dried after harvesting at this time. I am a supplier of this material, but do not want to use this blog as a 'beacon" for sales. If the other guy(s) can't help you, as a last resort I service the Rustic building industry. Happy twigging.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Best branches are those cut and dried between November and March when the sap is out of the tree, or at least down near the roots.. Bark will remain permanently adhered if kiln dried after harvesting at this time.

This may be ideal IF you want to leave the bark ON. If you want to strip the bark off, then a better time to cut is when the sap is flowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.