Traditional White Kitchens - Hand Made Details - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By freedhardwoods

post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Traditional White Kitchens - Hand Made Details

Kitchens can be made in just as many styles as furniture and interior designs come in. Our shop has made kitchens using thick, 'Old World' details as well as designing them with clean, minimal 'Modern' lines. We’ve also finished their surfaces in every look ...from natural blonde maple to painting them a dark blood red, …. but the ones we are asked to make the most are traditional white kitchens.
The following pictures show the installation of a richly appointed, white kitchen, in the ‘Traditional’ style.

Our client was a commercial builder and would handle all other construction except create and install the custom made cabinets. This was for his own home and he liked the gallery on our website so I took him to see some of our work & he awarded us the job.

newly renovated room ready for unfinished cabs

I often do a number of sketches for the shop when building … and I also put them up on a wall in the room when we are installing.

very accurate alignment of cabinets (for appliance and counter top placement) makes the finished kitchen fit together cleanly and become a single unit.

I went back to take photographs but they hadn’t gotten the dishwasher in nor tiled the backsplash yet.

paneled side walls, stepped out vertical corners and well proportioned trim make for a rich Traditional style kitchen. The shape of these details are noticed best when all the woodwork is done in one paint color.

here’s the kitchen’s other wall looking left…. with 16” deep pantry shelves, wall ovens & the fridge / they were considering placement of a TV above the wall ovens when I was last there.

This kitchen will be serving food for a few decades to come.

[link removed]

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
painted in place? what type of finish?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 02:09 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful work.
Thanks for sharing.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 PM

View freedhardwoods's Photo Album My Photos
The cabinets look nice.

Why did you finish after installing instead of before? That's a lot of extra work plus dealing with the fumes in the house.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Looks really nice.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2017, 01:07 AM

View Rodrat's Photo Album My Photos
Looks really nice.

I cant for the life of me though figure out why people want to put so much white in their kitchens? It gets dirty and greasy and is annoying to clean.

The only time I can really see it as appropriate is if you are one of those people that don't ever use their kitchen and its just for show.

But my color rant aside, I do like it.

Measure 6 times, cut 3. Plane it down wrong and go buy a second board.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2017, 07:32 AM

View freedhardwoods's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrat View Post
Looks really nice.

I cant for the life of me though figure out why people want to put so much white in their kitchens? It gets dirty and greasy and is annoying to clean.

The only time I can really see it as appropriate is if you are one of those people that don't ever use their kitchen and its just for show.

But my color rant aside, I do like it.
You pretty much nailed it.

I help install lots of white kitchens. Most have many more "extras" (add-ons with no function other than to look pretty [to them, not me]) than the pics above. For the most part, the people that buy these only care about looks, not function.

Give them a few years and their designer (someone you pay a lot of money to tell you what you like*) will tell them white doesn't look good anymore and they will tear out and replace perfectly good cabinets.

Every installer I have worked with will tell you if they find out a designer is involved, the install job just got harder. The happiest and most appreciative customers we deal with are the ones that order simple, functional cabinets (sometimes painted white).

*I never had a problem knowing if I like something or not, but I guess some people do.
Rodrat likes this.

Last edited by freedhardwoods; 03-03-2017 at 07:38 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

View Rodrat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedhardwoods View Post
You pretty much nailed it.

I help install lots of white kitchens. Most have many more "extras" (add-ons with no function other than to look pretty [to them, not me]) than the pics above. For the most part, the people that buy these only care about looks, not function.

Give them a few years and their designer (someone you pay a lot of money to tell you what you like*) will tell them white doesn't look good anymore and they will tear out and replace perfectly good cabinets.

Every installer I have worked with will tell you if they find out a designer is involved, the install job just got harder. The happiest and most appreciative customers we deal with are the ones that order simple, functional cabinets (sometimes painted white).

*I never had a problem knowing if I like something or not, but I guess some people do.
Since moving into my house in July last year I have been doing tons of research and drawing out cabinet designs for my kitchen. I'm still new to woodworking and figuring things out but I plan on eventually building the cabinets myself for the kitchen. The reason I have been doing so much research though is because I have a very small and oddly laid out kitchen. It has three doors and a chimney that all combined take up a lot of space and make the kitchen very odd to work in.

I don't plan on being in this house forever so I want to make this kitchen as perfect as I can for resale purposes (also because its mine and it should function)

I don't see how people can put something in their home based on some "professionals" and usually sterile opinion. I don't trust interior designers or decorators. lol

Measure 6 times, cut 3. Plane it down wrong and go buy a second board.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
We did our kitchen in 2000, white, preserved the original birch job built cabinets, but spruced them up by removing the soffits, adding new doors, and adding nice trim. White was a great choice for us, and has held up exceptionally well, we cook everyday so it is well used. They were sprayed in place, house was vacant when we did it, can't imagine doing it in an occupied house.

Regardless, it's personal choice, I like ours, no designer talked us into it, it was what we wanted and liked, and still do 17 years later. If you don't like them that is great, no reason to classify everyone that has a white kitchen a certain way, might be your narrow view, but it doesn't mean that is the way it is. I didn't see the OP asking about opinions on the color, he was just sharing some outstanding work.

Now back to the OP, very nice work, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by shoot summ; 03-03-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Tags
outstanding kitchen, perfectly white kitchen, rich kitchen details, traditional white kitchen, white dream kitchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode